Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Office 2010 update to decrease update installation failures

Microsoft have released a patch to service an Office 2010 installation to increase update reliability. See Office 2010 update for more details and download links.

Joe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

amflores (2011-08-13)

Thanks
    Thanks Joe. Just got back from work and saw your post first. Downloaded and installed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanks Joe, b I encountered the error it mentions (Unknown error) trying to install SP1 on one of my boxes. But when I tried to install it, the wizard said I had no software it applied to and that's incorrect b I have Office 2010 and several 2010 updates & need to get SP1 installed. I always turn off MSE or any AV I used in past prior to MSE when I install Office to maximize my chances and have done this trying to get SP1 for 2010 in.

Thanks
    I would try to download the SP1 file directly from MS. Many have found that Service Packs seem to be more successful when installing directly from a downloaded file rather than from Windows Updates.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

LBGB (2011-09-28)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LBGB View Post
    Thanks Joe, b I encountered the error it mentions (Unknown error) trying to install SP1 on one of my boxes. But when I tried to install it, the wizard said I had no software it applied to and that's incorrect b I have Office 2010 and several 2010 updates & need to get SP1 installed. I always turn off MSE or any AV I used in past prior to MSE when I install Office to maximize my chances and have done this trying to get SP1 for 2010 in.
    That rather cryptic message can also mean that the update is already installed. I agree with Ted, try downloading the complete SP-1 file and use "run as administrator". Be sure to make a backup before beginning the install.

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

LBGB (2011-09-28)

Thanks
    I appreciated the tips from both of you and by way of F/U after I tried Win Up (myother two boxes installed SP1 without a problem), I tried to install from a direct download. It always fails at the last minute, and I have enough space on the drive to install it and I always turn off MSE, my antivirus because over the years on the MSFST groups, now forums, the setup people from Office teams at Redmond have suggested to do that.

I tried over 10 times yesterday, and the errors from Event Viewer and from this folder

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive give no useful information other than telling you the install failed. There are the usual cryptic numbers that I suppose are useful for some engineers at Redmond.

I really appreciate the tips, and over the next few days, I'll try to read some of the other threads to pick up some more tips and some apps that are useful.

I sent the error messages to an engineer at MSFT for Office I know, and am waiting to see if he has any suggestions. I already know from talking to him in June that there were a small percentage of people hitting walls when they tried to install Office 2010 SP1.

Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It is the long way around and may NOT solve the problem but you could try to uninstll Office, reinstall Office, install SP-1 before any updates from WU.

Did the MSFT engineer request your install log? Have you tried to examine the log file?

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks.

I sent the WER report, Event Viewer Error,and the Install Log from %temp% but haven't heard back from him yet. Apparently I have an error 1603 which is what happened when I tried to install on my other 2 boxes in June, (one installed without a hitch and on my Iconia tablet it took several times.

I tried a Repair from CP, and the install failed. So I uninstalled/reinstalled and it failed again.

There are a ton of hits for failures to install SP1 with 103 errors and some really convoluted solutions. IMHO MSFT has drastically failed in giving useful info in error messages, particularly for install failures and the Office Engineering team has done a lousy job of making it easy to install service packs. While it may be a small percentage, when you google or Bing, it seems lots of people are having trouble.

I triple checked to make sure it isn't already installed.

I've read the onpoint MSKBs for install SP problems, and they don't offer anything I haven't tried.

Administrator
    Thanks
    IIRC, the 1603 error is a permission problem. The install log should identify the culprit. I'm surprised the MS engineer has not gotten back to you. How long ago did you send the information?

Joe

Thanks
    I sent it yesterday afternoon. This is a very nice guy, but he has a lot of irons in the fire and could be travelling. I think he'll get back. I'm going to have another look at the logs again to see if I can glean anything along the way. As you know well, they are pretty long. However, there are a lot of posts at some of the Win forums that are also good that say you can have trouble nailing down a 1603 error. I vaguely remember that during the Beta of Office 2010 there were a slew of 1603 errors, and some of them we had to go to the security tab of an average of 5-6 very long registry sub=keys and take permission for a lower than admin user for each and every one. I know the UAC caveat not to run as admin for security, but that was the only way we could get a lot of these people installed.

I'm going to have to do some searching for my posts. Once the Beta became public, I posted a lot of times for people with the compalint they couldn't install office. I had forgotten about that until you just mentioned it. It could help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're correct. 1063 errors can be difficult to identify. And yes, the log file can be quite large. Not much fun to try to ferret out the culprit.

Have you tried logging in as Administrator and trying the install?

Joe

Thanks
    I am logged in as Admin--and I'll check that. I also remebered the error a lot of people were encountering during the Beta was a 1402 not a 1603, so it's not helpful for this. I have downloaded a new SP1 executable, but I don't think that has much to do with it. I went over several of the logs carefully, but honestly there was little I could understand if any. They might as well have been written in Manderin. I also tried changing all permissions at 3 Office locations to users which sometimes works--yes I know it's lowest on totem pole but users only had read/write permissions as is often the case. I can go back and change everything to Admin control at Edit & at Advanced>Owners on the Security dialogue boxes and see if that helps.

Sometimes running the SubInACL tool for Win 7 can correct enough registry entries to help with a 1603 and other install errors, so I ran the tool but it didn't. The tool is developed by a MSFT PM who works on more than one team Aaron Stebner.

I need to get someone with log examination sophistication (I'm not that guy) to see the logs who is also in install. Sloan Crayton has been involved in a lot of teams at Office MSFT for years, and he is a setup expert. I'm going to bundle up about 8 logs and copy both these guys.

I appreciate your sticking with me. I know your help is always top notch.

Thanks
    I am definitely logged in as Admin. I checked all 3 locations I thought were important for MSFT Office permissions, and Administrator has full permissions. I checked the install drive Program Files,

C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft]Office

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\OFFICE14

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you checked C:\Windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log? I believe it is produced by Windows Update. So, if you tried using WU to install SP1 there might be useful information there.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks Joe. There were two logs for the two times I had originally tried to install from Win Up there, but I looked at them carefully, and there was no info I could interpret that would help me.

I appreciate you've helped me to find every possible log location, and I'm bundling all of them up and emailing them to the 2 guys at Redmond, hoping to get some helpful response. Sometimes it seems, you usre get beat up trying to install a simple service pack. I appreciate all your helpful suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast