Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Having difficulty installing network printer

Ok, downstairs I have a desktop computer with XP Home. There is an old (but works GREAT) Epson Color Stylus printer connected to the parallel port. I also have a Canon Pixma ip4000 connected to the USB port.

Upstairs I have 2 XP Home laptops. They connect fine to my network and access share files and the shared printers. All is fine.

I used to have a W7 laptop and I remember going through some stuff but eventually it worked just fine, acessing my shared files and printers.

Unfortunately, that laptop bit the dust. I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop and so far all works perfectly EXCEPT I cannot get it to work with the printers. It accesses my network and shared files fine. I know it can be done because I did it before.

Hereís what Iíve tried. I went to networking and chose Add A Printer. I specified network printer. It found both printers. But when I try to add the selected printer, it says that it canít find the driver. Frankly, I looked on my desktop computer and I canít find it either. I can also look on my two XP laptops but I am not sure what to look for. I went to the manufacturers sites and was unable to locate a driver, but it should be on my computers, I would think.

I wish I could remember what I did about 3 years ago to get my W7 to work with both computers.

Any ideas?

Mel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Did you check the manufacturer's sites for Windows 7 drivers?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As per my post:

"I went to the manufacturers sites and was unable to locate a driver, but it should be on my computers,..."

Mel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry, I missed that part. The paralel one seems harder to solve, but you can try and connect the USB one to the laptop, to see if Windows includes a driver for it. Once you set it up as local, you will have the driver and then you can simply try to add it as a new network printer.

Thanks
    Sorry, my mistake. I deleted that post.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    I deleted mine too .

Thanks
    It would nice to know what model# & make like 1400,C88+.......etc.Here's a link that will help you network your printer in the mean time;http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12246...-to-windows-7/
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Chowur:

Reread my post. I indicated the Canon was the IP4000.

The Epson is an old one: Color Stylus 600

Mel

Administrator
    Thanks
    The Epson is listed by Microsoft to be natively supported by Windows 7: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...ters&os=32-bit

Also found some advice in another forum:

I had your identical problem, epson 600 driver for windows 7, and today I solved it.
    When you add a new printer in windows 7 and the model you need does not appear in the device list, you have to select "windows update".
    In this way some new printer models will appear in the list and, among these, also the epson 600.

There is a driver for 7 32 bits for the Canon: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_ip_series/pixma_ip4000#DriversAndSoftware
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-08-09 at 09:54.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    According to Epson Windows 7 Compatibility Chart the C600 drivers are built-in with Windows 7. See post#4 for steps to get Windows 7 to recognize the printer.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe and Ruirib:

I am sure the C600 must be a different printer? I have the Epson Stylus Color 600 and that can only be connected to the parallel port of the XP machine. So how can I get the driver on my W7 machine (with a USB connection, it automatically searches for the driver).

Also, Ruirib, that software (there is a 64-bit one) seems to require that the printer is already installed. It is an enhancement, as far as I can tell. I plan to be in contact with Canon later today.

Mel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    Joe and Ruirib:

I am sure the C600 must be a different printer? I have the Epson Stylus Color 600 and that can only be connected to the parallel port of the XP machine. So how can I get the driver on my W7 machine (with a USB connection, it automatically searches for the driver).
    The link I posted ensures compatibility with your printer. It's from Microsoft. I am guessing Joe was referring to the same printer, maybe abbreviating its name.
    At some point during the driver installation, as a network printer, you will be given a choice to pick the driver manually. That's
    your opportunity.

Also, Ruirib, that software (there is a 64-bit one) seems to require that the printer is already installed. It is an enhancement, as far as I can tell. I plan to be in contact with Canon later today.
    Mel
    There are 2 programs and another piece of software described as a driver add-on. I suggest you download the programs, install them (one of them must have the driver) and then install the driver add-on. Be ready to connect the printer locally, initially. Once you have it installed locally, then add it as network printer and Windows should be able to use the driver you have already installed.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-08-09 at 10:52.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    I just abbreviated the printer name. The Epson Stylus Color 600 is listed in the chart as having driver built-in with Windows 7. Have you tried not letting Windows automatically search for a driver? You should be able to manually tell Windows what kind of printer it is.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help. I'm still having problems. I was able to install the Canon ip4000 locally. I had to change some settings in Windows Update to allow Windows to eventually find a driver and install it. So, when the Canon is directly connected to my W7 computer, it works.

I then tried to add a network printer. That appeared to work. BUT, when I try and print a document when the Canon is connected to the network but not to my computer, it says that the computer is offline.

Any ideas?
    Mel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Further Update. The Epson printer situation is solved.
    By changing the settings in Windows Update, I was able to have Windows find the driver. It's installed and working perfectly.

Now, if I can find a driver for the Canon, it might work (again, Windows Update said it could not find the driver, although it found the driver when I had it plugged in directly to my computer. I'm going to try and find the driver on my computer. THEN maybe I can browse and complete the process.

Mel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast