Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    qaz

Extremely slow boot up

hi

can anyone help pls

my xp machine is extremely slow in booting, gets stuck for several mins at the xp screen with the progress bar below.

have just finished removing malware but am going through the steps again, including defrag and selective startup option [no services and no startup items checked], and crap cleaner

c: hd free space is low at 3.5 gb

thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Qaz, could you post the spec's of your machine? How much Ram, how big is the HD compared to the free space, how old is the drive? Is it slow booting up in Safe Mode?

Not withstanding those questions, 3.5 GB free sounds like one possible possible problem: Windows needs some headroom on the disk to be able to run effectively, moving files a round and housekeeping etc. The other thing that may be happening is, if the drive is very old or badly looked after, it may have a number of errors further degrading it's performance.

Depending on the answers to the first line above, you could try running a chkdsk to look for errors, or there may be other factors at work.

Thanks
    You might also try What's In Startup to find out how many un-neccessary apps are starting with Windows. I have just 4, AV/AM, laptop touchpad, S/W firewall and my mouse software. That's it. Most S/W you install will try to place itself in Windows startup un-neccessarily. Just stop it. You might find a marked improvement.

What'sInStartup.jpg

I would also clear up as many temp folders as you can find, including temp internet files. Uninstall any old apps you don't need or use, using Revo Uninstaller. Some of these take up a lot of HD space. If you have hibernate enabled, disable it in Power Management, then delete the hiberfil.sys file as this can be very large
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-08-09 at 09:26.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the same problem after about 5 years of continuous use. A backup, wipe and re-install fixed it.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I agree with Tinto that we need you specs. Years ago 512 mb was plenty of memory. Lately I've found XP systems need 1 Gig of memory to keep from constantly paging back and forth between memory and the hard disk, slowing things down to a crawl. I have upgrade several XP systems with more memory recently with good results.

Jerry

qaz
    i will try to ansswer all questions:

its a 28 gb hd, now with 8 gb free sace
    amd 1.8 cpu
    memory 1014
    drive is old [not known]
    chkdisk ran twice but kept dissapearing after a while . question: does it dissapear when finished?
    have disabled hibernate althought i not used it for a few years. a search cant find hiberfil.sys file to delete
    I only have several programs in statup now , pruned them yesterday.

no improvement, a full 5 min to boot to desktop, then another min plus to get stuff loaded to task bar, then 4 min to load firefox 5 , and about same asa i recall for thunderbird.

i would reinstall xp but i have no disk and am close to getting my new machine.

i read that theres a defrag boot files registry entry which may have got turned off....i couldnt find it!

the speed is no better in safe mode or selective startup with everything turned off

have looked at temp folders , mostly emty or low content
    thanx

ps i get> warning f peramiter not specified running checkdisk in read only mode. and i can confirm now that checkdisk does disappear before it finishes
    Last edited by qaz; 2011-08-09 at 15:11.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OK, looking at those spec's it's not a rocket ship, but then you already knew that anyway.

I think the key thing is that it suffers from the same poor performance when booting into Safe Mode as in Normal Mode. That being the case, it's not (or rather unlikely to be) a service or driver problem. Much more likely to be the age of the Hard Drive, it now being error prone and perhaps starting to wear.

You mention that it is a 28GB drive. Drives of that size were prevalent about 9 or 10 years ago. Should your drive be that old, it is time to take an image copy, replace it with a new parallel ATA drive and burn the image back onto the new drive.

qaz
    yes, its no rocket for sure, it wouldnt win any prizes for looks either as its got no front or side panels and the external switches long gone, just bare wires. but before i replace [temporarily] the hd would u comment on the items below, it will make me that little bit more knowledgable.

i did finally check the disk but approached from <properties>tools>error checking. it ran but in the morning there was no message. is that normal?

i read that theres a defrag boot files registry entry which may have got turned off, could this be a this as a possible cause

can i confirm the hd condition with software , before i replace it?

thanks

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    yes, its no rocket for sure, it wouldnt win any prizes for looks either as its got no front or side panels and the external switches long gone, just bare wires. but before i replace [temporarily] the hd would u comment on the items below, it will make me that little bit more knowledgable.

i did finally check the disk but approached from <properties>tools>error checking. it ran but in the morning there was no message. is that normal?

i read that theres a defrag boot files registry entry which may have got turned off, could this be a this as a possible cause

can i confirm the hd condition with software , before i replace it?

thanks
    • No message after chkdsk? Yes this would be normal if you performed it at boot time. It will run the check disk, then re-boot, so any error messages will be lost. Best to watch it if you are using chkdsk: it should take too long with a 28GB drive.

• Defrag boot files setting in the registry? I've not heard of that and I'm not sure what it would be. There are many files used at boot time, so it's unclear what defragmenting them would do compared to the normal defrag. A possibility is that this may refer to the pagefile being highly fragmented. Check using the standard windows defrag tool to see if there are lots of "unmovable objects". If so, then you may need to run a special pagefile defrag.

• Conform the HD condition before replace? The best tools to use would be from the manufacturer, so look on their websites for hard drive checking tools. They will likely use SMART reporting technology, which due to its age your dive will probably not support; so they may not work. Failing that, take a look at this MajorGeeks page for lots of disk tools.

To be honest however, if the drive is 9 years old, it's time to swap it out anyway as it is at the end of it's working life.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2011-08-10 at 04:51. Reason: fix the majorgeeks link

qaz
    thanks very much for your wisdom [everyone], got a temp drive coming this w/end

mark

Thanks
    Check the Event Viewer for the chkdsk log.
    Go to Start > Run and type: eventvwr.msc /s , and hit enter.
    When Event Viewer opens, click on "Application",
    then scroll down to "Winlogon" and double-click on it.
    This is the log created after running Checkdisk.

Jerry

qaz
    i cant find the "winlogon"

Thanks
    In the event viewer, highlight Applications, then click on the Source column header to sort that column alphabetically. scroll down to find winlogon. Alternatively, With Applications highlighted, click on View > Find. In the Event Source box select Winlogon and then click next.

Jerry

qaz
    thats all done now with ur help, thanks. the disc is failing but everything is backed up safely.

Dose anyone know if i can get my xp instalation cd which is not bootable, to boot by first booting with my win 2000 cd. previuosly i have fully installed win 2000 first, which is a pain.

i have cd burner xp and iso buster, perhaps one of those could make a bootable iso . have looked and tryed but its a bit tricky

thanks
    Last edited by qaz; 2011-08-13 at 13:54.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    There are a few web sites that will show you how to create a bootable XP CD. nlite should also do it for youi, whilst including SP3.

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast