Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    qaz
    thanks, ill get on it
    mark

qaz
    i looked at N lite but it seems u need to have windows installed first. so its back tyo my orioginal question:

Dose anyone know if i can get my xp instalation cd which is not bootable, to boot by first booting with my win 2000 cd. previuosly i have fully installed win 2000 first, which is a pain.

i have cd burner xp and iso buster, perhaps one of those could make a bootable iso . have looked and tryed but its a bit tricky

Administrator
    Thanks
    How did you get an installation CD that is not bootable?

Joe

qaz
    looks like i need to have the os already installed to use Nlite, i could copy the existing instalation with Nlite but this instalation is crap [bits missing i suspect]. So as this disc is failing fast i want to install xp on my new tempory disc. And its back to my original question which is:

Dose anyone know if i can get my xp instalation cd which is not bootable, to boot by first booting with my win 2000 cd. previuosly i have fully installed win 2000 first, which is a pain. i have cd burner xp and iso buster, perhaps one of those could make a bootable iso, have looked and tryed to make bootable cd but its a bit tricky and i have not discovered how to do it properly

thanks
    Last edited by qaz; 2011-08-14 at 14:53.

Administrator
    Thanks
    In my experience any installation CD/DVD has been bootable. Why is yours not bootable?

Joe

qaz
    maybe u are thinking of official ms cd's, this is not. it came with the second hand machine , it works

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    At this stage, it might be worthwhile standing back and looking at the wider picture. You have a rig which is 8 or 9 years old with a failing hard drive. Your data is backed up. You have a "grey" XP disk and need to install but only have a Win2000 CD.

If you were successful and managed install and activate XP on the box, you still need to import your data and will still be running on very old hardware which may fail at any time.

In my humble opinion, I think your time might be spent better by looking at low-end Windows 7 machines. They will blow the socks off the XP box and be fully legal.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What Anti-Virus System are you running? After a period Norton can hog your resources so badly that my comp took nearly 10 minutes to get to the desktop! I have since scrapped all Norton on my home PC's and use Avast and MSE. I used Norton between 2002-2007 and since changing I have normal start up on all comps.
    You would benefit from a larger HDD.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Might check Right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> right-click IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers -> Properties -> Primary IDE channel -> Advanced Settings -> Current transfer Mode = "... DMA ...", not "PIO".
    Last edited by DirtySox; 2011-08-22 at 22:31.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After you get all the fixes done, there is a very good (and safe) free application called soluto (soluto.com) that you should consider. It's an app that runs during the OS bootloader, and watches what is being loaded. It will then give you the details including time for each, and you can then use it to set each item as 1) leave in boot, 2) delay, or 3) pause. Delay means just that... soluto will load it slightly later after the OS has fully booted- thus to you it looks like you just shaved time off the boot. Pause means it is never started by the bootloader process. Obviously you need to choose carefully, but the soluto app also provides advice for well known processes, and it also knows not to let you pause or delay critical OS services and features, plus anything you do is easily undone. Give it a try... I knocked 2+ minutes off of a 5 minute boot process on a very old, slow laptop running XP SP3.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know this is probably a silly question to ask but ,have you tried changing the boot sequence to allow your cd to boot first in the bios .then try to install from your xp cd.
    If I recall correctly , it may as simple as hitting F8 at boot up and selecting "cd as the first boot device" from the boot menu and it will more than likely return to boot from hard drive at the next boot up.
    Failing that you should get someone to make you a windows boot floppy to install cd drivers first then try your CD install of xp .
    I hope this helps.

Rob

New Lounger
    Thanks

I had the same problem show up

Hi all, this is a very common situation from the research I have seen over the last few months. I had the exact same thing happen to a test rig that was running XP pro SP3. This was a relatively new machine, quad core Amd 2,8Ghz, 4 Gigs of ram, SATA boot drive 160Gig with 120 free space. The OS had been running for several months with no problems, all patches up to date, etc.

One morning after coming in to check the progress of some overnight downloads, (machine runs 24/7), my MS wireless laser
    mouse refused to respond, keyboard hotkeys had to be used to restart the system. Upon restart, the boot process took upwards of 15 minutes!.

Hitting the forums including this site, and trying every trick I could find including all on this thread, plus all from every Windows book I owned and I own a lot, NOTHING would make the machine load any faster than 7 minutes. And that included loading the Soluto program and cutting all boot items and services.

I have been building and installing windows since 1986, and I had no idea why this unusual situation was occurring. The only thing that was standing out was that there was some Win updates that had occurred on that night, and done w/o my permission, as I have all my updates set for me to choose what to load. I had scanned the system with over 20 different rootkit killers, anti-malware, anti-virus, reg-scanners, etc, with zero problems found. I even manually scanned the registry for any evidence of malicious alterations. Zilch!

The end result was that I had no choice but to re-image the drive with a several month old image. Problem was immediately solved, current boot times are just over 1 minute, and that's with a full boat load of startup items, over 20 at current count, no custom boot, just letting Windows manage the process. The machine has been stable for the last two months, still online 24/7 except for patch related restarts.

I know this was a long post but I wanted to share that the hardware issues the guy talked about, I feel, do not apply to the problem. I have hard drives that still work from the '80's, they are kept in shape by SpinRite, and monitored by HDD Health, and they are in great shape, still used for software testing, mule systems, etc. I have run XP successfully on machines with as little as 512M of ram and have no issues with performance after eliminating some of the bloat inherent in the Windows system.

I feel there is an issue with the updates that were installed. I now test the updates and am prepared to rollback at any sign of instability. Take of this what you will, but it is my experience. FTR, I have used every version of Windows from 3 to 7, on 286sx processors to i7 Intels and everything in between, and have extensive experience in securing and tweaking systems.

Hopefully I can contribute more to these forums in the future as time allows, just sorry I did not see this thread sooner, as I feel the guy's pain. It's really frustrating when Windows decides to go walk-a-bout for no apparent reason. Cheers all!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to robotkilr For This Useful Post:

drkurtz (2011-08-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, the link to What'sInStartup (in post #3) goes to a 404 error page not found msg. So do a lot of the links on the NirSoft front page.

Thanks
    It works fine now. I suspect their site was down for some reason.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    #29 Must be a glitch in my iteration of Firefox, because it came up instantly in Opera.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast