Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB/power issues crashing computer

I have a computer that I built approx. 1 year ago. I was having an issue with 1 usb plug on the computer where, when I unplugged a usb flash drive it would instantly shut down the computer(every once in a while). It only happened with 1 particular plug and I was a slacker and just used other plugs instead. I had read somewhere that people were having some trouble with the plugs on this particular case, a silverstone PS05-B(I love this case!). Recently however, turning off my usb printer (HP 2175 all in one) or unplugging the usb plug can cause the computer to instantly shut down. If turning off the power to the printer causes the computer to shut down that would seem to remove the usb plugs from the equation or I have 2 issues. Yesterday I did take it apart and check out all the usb wiring and it seems to be right. I use this computer a lot and in all other respects it works very well. Could it be a power supply issue? Any thoughts???

Urge

Thanks
    You can use an app such as HWMonitor to check you PS voltages, I would try to monitor the voltages while you attempt various things, BUT first make an Image of your system so that if something causes a major problem and your OS gets hosed you can get back. There are various discussions in the Security and Backup forum on Imaging.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I've seen some really great cases, that come with pretty trashy PSU's.

What is the brand and wattage rating on you PSU?

I keep a good quality Antec PSU on the shelf for replacement or testing purposes,
    but if you don't have one, get one from a local store where you can return it up to two weeks if you don't like it.
    Many stores have a two week return policy.

Then jack in the new supply and see if the problem persists.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor

* Don't forget, to check your motherboard for bulging and/or leaking filter capacitors.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So here's what's inside my case-Corsair CX600 PSU, Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H MoBo, CPU-AMD Phenom II X2 560 AM3, 4 gigs corsair DDR3, WD 500 GB SATA HD, Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU cooler and 4 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1450 RPM. It has onboard graphics and a video capture card. This computer runs very cool, if we are having a heatwave it might get up to 96-98F(CoreTemp 0.99.8) inside my case(no AC) but right now it is at 85-87. Do ya think it looks trashy? I think if I was having PS troubles that it would be more obvious but I could be convinced otherwise I suppose. I, unfortunately, don't have a spare PSU at the moment, but I plan on building a new computer soon so maybe I'll just go ahead and order A PSU now. If it's NOT the PSU then are we talking MoBo? I haven't tested my memory, could that kill the computer? I'll run mem286 tomorrow.

Urge

Thanks
    Order a PSU thats big enough to place in the new PC when you build it. I have seen many specifying a 750 watt PSU. I have not built in several years so am not as up on these specs as others.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just ordered a Corsair 750W modular PSU so I guess I'll give that a try in a few days. I'm really bummed that I'm having this issue but If it's going to have a problem then I guess the power supply would get my vote cause it's way easier to replace than the MoBo.

Urge