Star Lounger
    Thanks

Drive options when installing Windows 7

I would like to install Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade (32-bit) on a hard drive that currently has Windows XP installed. Not much of a computer expert...

When booting up with the Windows 7 DVD, I reach the point where the install screen says: Drive Options (Advanced). Upon selecting that, I am presented with the following options (left to right, top to bottom): Refresh, Delete, Format, New, Load Driver, Extend.

I'd be curious to know what the implications are when selecting one of the following: Delete, Format, New, Extend.

Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Delete and format wipe out the existing. New and extend imply there is spare space available on the which to install.
    We need more details about the disk to advise fully. Select Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc. This will open Disk Manager and you can either post a screen shot or tell us what the disk set up is.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Delete and format wipe out the existing. New and extend imply there is spare space available on the which to install.
    We need more details about the disk to advise fully. Select Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc. This will open Disk Manager and you can either post a screen shot or tell us what the disk set up is.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks, Paul.
    Disk Management shows that I have a single partition (c:\) of 80GB (53% free) and with a file system of NTFS.
    I was simply curious to know the difference among all the options that I mentioned in my original post. In particular, under what circumstances would I choose Delete instead of Format? New vs. Extend?
    Just to satisfy my curiosity... :-)
    Thanks.

Thanks
    See if this Windows Seven Forum tutorial answers your questions and assists you with the install. Good luck, you will love Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    See if this Windows Seven Forum tutorial answers your questions and assists you with the install. Good luck, you will love Win 7.
    Thanks for the info, Ted!
    Does anyone know when to use the Extend option? What am I extending?? :-)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tb75252 View Post
    Thanks for the info, Ted!
    Does anyone know when to use the Extend option? What am I extending?? :-)
    Cancel this! I should have read more carefully the article suggested by Ted...
    Sorry about that.

Thanks
    Glad I could help tb. Like I said you will love Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Just to be clear, it appears that the EXTEND option is the one to use. The existing partition needs to be shrunk and a new partition created, in order to be able to preserve the Windows XP partition when installing Windows 7. Windows 7 will end up being the boot manager in this scheme, and you will be able to choose whether to boot into Windows XP or Windows 7 during each startup after Windows 7 is set up. The default if you do nothing is to hold for a few seconds, then boot into Windows 7. This is similar to how most third-party boot managers work, including Linux with GRUB.

Space requirements depend on whether you use separate partitions for your system and your data. I do use separate partitions. I find that Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit uses not more than (being generous) 60 GB of hard drive space, and can with effort be confined to 40 GB or less. That's without my data files. Windows XP is much smaller, at less than 20 GB space requirements when running. Again, this is without data files. So, a 40 GB partition should accommodate Windows 7, but it might be a tight squeeze.

(To obtain more space for Windows 7 -- ) Have you considered installing a second hard drive and installing Windows 7 there? (Of course, this could get complicated from the point of view of having to switch between active and non-active drives.)
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-08-14 at 01:15.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    I'm unsure if the OP wishes to dual boot XP with Win 7 or simply install Win 7 over XP. The extend would allow the dual boot configuration, but my interpretation of his post is he would like to install Win 7 directly over XP. With a HD of only 80 GB, a dual boot senario would be a little tight, depending on installed apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I'm unsure if the OP wishes to dual boot XP with Win 7 or simply install Win 7 over XP. The extend would allow the dual boot configuration, but my interpretation of his post is he would like to install Win 7 directly over XP. With a HD of only 80 GB, a dual boot senario would be a little tight, depending on installed apps.
    I don't know if the OP intended to say dual-boot, but your explanation seems right for this size hard drive.
    -- Bob Primak --