New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation iNET Email Sent To WS Paid Subscribers, August 9, 2011

This morning, paid WS subscribers received an email from the new owners of Windows Secrets announcing yet another new privacy policy. (I will post that email next.) I replied using the link provided within the email and my email bounced because the email address in the embedded link was invalid. That email address was support@windowssecrets.com. I'm posting here the reply I sent instead via the link available on my paid subscription account page, immediately before I cancelled mmy subscrioption.
    FIRST, your privacy policy, as stated on the subscriber webpage I linked from to send this message, is a mispresentation, as well as invalid per the email you sent to your paid subscribers this morning, August 9, 2011.

Misrepresentation? Yes, it is the same clever, carefully worded and of course strictly legal mumbo-jumbo (best choice of noun I could come up of) that Wells Fargo and Citibank (to cite just two examples), hide behind to explain how themselves as well as their many, many different divisions, subsidiaries and hired "business partners" can spam me incessently in email and call my unlisted telephone number least least 2-3 times a week.

Invalid? Yes, as the "about us" page at the iNET website explains, explains, iNET is in fact an internet marketing company. Apparently iNET has acquired WindowsSecrets recently and so THINKS this means they've acquired me, a soon to be former paying customer. I say "THINKS" and "soon to be former" because I'm cancelling my paid Windows Secrets subscription as soon as I finish this email. (I just renewed again last month after 15+ years as a very loyal Wody Leonard folllower.)

SECOND, the email address link included in your email, support@windowssecrets.com is invalid. Here is the proof that the new Windows Secrets owners' IT adminsitraters will need to read to take their screw up seriously:

++<support@windowssecrets.com>:
    ++Remote host said: 511 sorry, no mailbox here by that name (#5.1.1 - chkuser) [RCPT_TO]
    ++
    ++--- Below this line is a copy of the message.
    ++
    ++Received: from [98.139.212.146] by nm30.bullet.mail.bf1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 09 Aug 2011 15:45:47 -0000
    ++Received: from [98.139.212.211] by tm3.bullet.mail.bf1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 09 Aug 2011 15:45:46 -0000
    ++Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp1020.mail.bf1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 09 Aug 2011 15:39:19 -0000
    ++X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 673579.47235.bm@omp1020.mail.bf1.yahoo.com
    ++Received: (qmail 34858 invoked from network); 9 Aug 2011 15:39:19 -0000
    ++DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=att.net; s=s1024; t=1312904359; bh=1rmzXYbjG/eS4V0qfmVG9GxLaDnEXjPGMqJv6LONAyg=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:X-rim-org-msg-ref-id:Message-ID:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Reply-To:X-Priority:References:In-++Reply-To:Sensitivity:Importance:Subject:To:Fromate:Content-Type:MIME-Version; b=rWzb/BYdC5iLpj9bLI/OAM8EP+nEChzmbRV8ieyDTxxSkdzdhX/AkO2UnoP2oO8yF+0lF12+K/wYnyddudprwBlZZsOm/e2bdA5jDVwEcwun2UoLWIBxghCK0/VIoLcObEy3392efdFeWgk2Wob1uEBN/2VYAT6RqbnmEMwTohw=
    X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
    <snip>

LAST, important to me because I like to finish what I start, below is the message I sent (and iNET bounced) in reply to you email this morning:

-----Original Message-----
    From: xxxxx@xxxx.xxx <- my actual email address has been removed
    Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 15:39:17
    To: <support@WindowsSecrets.com>
    Reply-To: xxxxx@xxxx,xx
    Subject: Re: Your New Ad Policy

What has happened over about 15 years I've been a paid subscriber to Woody's vehicles, including WS, is more than disappointing. I have to parse around ads typically written as "information" now which are annoying and distracting. I just renewed a month or so ago anyway (after much soul searching), but based on what I've just read it will certainly be the last time.

This newsletter is no longer what it claims to be. It's been dummied down and increasingly targets a mass advertising vehicle of neophytes rather than what it once did: power users and those in the technology business. I think Windows Secrets will dicover after the fact that they have slide down the same slippery slope that PC Magazine did. If you've been around long enough you know precisely what I mean.

Beyond the above, which I now realize was ample ample grounds in itself for me stop subscribing to WS, I simply will not pay anyone to spam me.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Below is the email I received this morning. I've expunged information concerning my subscription to WS.

Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 12:53 AM
    To: xxxx@xxxx.com
    Subject: Changes to the Windows Secrets privacy policy [Newsletter Comp Version]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For some reason the content of the email I posted does not show. I've posted as plain text below:

NEWSLETTER UPDATE
    Changes to the Windows Secrets privacy policy
    Dear Windows Secrets subscriber,
    Please excuse this out-of-cycle e-mail, but we want to let you know we're updating our Privacy Policy, effective Sept. 02, 2011.
    These changes, which affect all Windows Secrets subscribers, will allow us to offer you new products and services that will complement the newsletter and, we believe, benefit all subscribers. The privacy policy update also defines how your contact information is used within iNET Interactive's network (which includes Windows Secrets).
    Be assured, we remain committed to never sell, rent, or give away your address to any outside party. We will always notify you before offering any new product or service, and we will make it easy to opt-in or opt-out. More on that in an upcoming Newsletter Update.
    You may read about the changes to the Windows Secrets Privacy Policy in a post on Windows Secrets site — it's short and written in plain language. If you have any questions or comments about the change, e-mail us at editor@WindowsSecrets.com.
    Thank
    you for your support, and we look forward to bringing you interesting and useful product and services in the future.
    — Tracey Capen, editor in chief, Windows Secrets Newsletter.

Thanks
    Hello Roger,

Any email communication we send is double opt-in. If you choose to receive anything, you then receive an email at the account you signed up at, which you must click again to confirm these are emails you want to receive. If you don't opt in the first time and the second time, you don't get emails from us. To my knowledge, we don't collect phone numbers, and you would never receive a call from us.

The notice of change you received was about these changes. If you haven't read them yet, you should. Here is exactly what changed:

We are revising the Windows Secrets Privacy policy. You’ll find the changes highlighted below. We encourage you to read the entire policy, but here is a quick summary of the changes:

1. We’ve clarified that iNET Interactive LLC owns and operates Windows Secrets. See the new Definitions section.

2. We’ve updated point 2 in our Ironclad Privacy Policy to include announcements for new products or services. See section 2.
    The rest of the privacy policy is identical to what it has been in the past. It is an internet industry best practice to notify subscribers when the privacy policy changes.

I'll have the support@windowssecrets.com address fixed, I haven't ever used it or heard it wasn't working. Thanks for the heads up.

Regards,
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Is there an option not to receive announcements for products or services?

Thanks
    Good question, I would think you should be able to. I will find out and get you an answer.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

iNET Interactive
    Thanks
    Let me start by saying that we are still developing the delivery of these additional services. We will allow subscribers to opt out of any new services. Paid subscribers will be opted out automatically. They will be able to opt in if they like.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Capen View Post
    Paid subscribers will be opted out automatically. They will be able to opt in if they like.
    I am a paid subscriber and really think that is the correct way to go. Thank you for posting about it.