Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 ISO Burning problem

When I try to use the W7 image burning problem (and also IMGBurn) to burn an ISO image to a DVD, I get the following error message:
    "The disk image didn't burn successfully because an error occured. (Error code 0X80004005)."

In both cases, the message comes up in the verification phase.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
    Dick

Thanks
    That error code is an "access denied" error code. Since it is coming up during the verification phase, it sounds like its trying to check if the disc burned successfully and it is unable to perform the check correctly... But that happens after the burn process completes so what it really means is "I have no clue if the burn was successful or not, because the verification failed".

It sounds like it is fairly possible that the ISO burn completed successfully, but the program just isn't able to verify it.

Have you tried disabling your antivirus protection while the burn/verification process is taking place? Maybe your antivirus is interfering, and you'll know if thats the case if you disable it temporarily and the verification completes without an error.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Matt. I'll disable my av and try that. Also, whether I get the same error or not, I'll try to access the "burned" disk.
    Best,
    Dick

Thanks
    Try to burn a simple file to DVD by using windows burner feature to find out if the DVD device is working properly:

1. Open Computer->DVD device.
    2. Drag a file into a DVD.
    If the DVD device is working properly, the problem may be caused by the following factors:

1. The ISO file is corrupted, try to re-download the ISO file.
    2. The burner program, try another burner program.
    3.Uninstall the IMGBurn program with;http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for your responses. I've tried the following, and nothing has worked:
    Running in Safe mode with networking, to disable MSSE, I tried both IMGBurn and the W7 burner.
    IMGBurn looked like it was burning the ISO file, but verify failed; and when I tried to access the DVD with
    Windows Explorer it wouldn't recognize/open the disk. The W7 burner gave the following error msg:
    "The write speed for the recordable disc is either too fast or too slow for your CD or DVD burner. Insert a recordable disc that has a different write speed, and then try again."
    Trying Chowur's suggestions, and using a simple PDF file, neither burner worked.
    With the W7 burner, I first tried 16X, and got "There was a problem burning the disc."
    I next tried 6X, and got the same error message.
    I've uninstalled IMGBurn, using Revo; and I have a matched set of 6 coasters for anyone who wants to cheaply decorate their home/apartment.
    Dick

Thanks
    Sorry Dick, I have plenty of my own!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I think by now, I'd be looking at the viability of that burner.
    How old is it?

Is it supposed to be Windows 7 compatible?

Check with the manufacturer to see if there might be a Firmware upgrade for that drive.
    Over the years, I've bought several burners that would not work right till I did a firmware upgrade.
    In fact, my very first DVD burner ($149.95) was like that.

New DVD burners are so cheap anymore, that they are hardly worth fussing around with
    when they exhibit any problems at all. I buy new DVD burners for about $25. ea.

Just a thought

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I would try a different burner, or different burnable disks. Back when CDFreaks.com was still called CD Freaks, before they switched to myce.com, it was easy to find a lot of good information there about compatibility between various burners and blank media... There are some combinations that just won't work. Personally, I've never had blank discs that wouldn't work, but its something to be aware of - buying different blanks or a different burner may be what you need to get fixed up. I also think looking for a firmware update is a good idea though at this point, that would be the last thing I tried before replacing the drive.
    Matt Bidinger

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks DRWho and I.M.O.G.
    The DVD device is a:
    Lite-On DVDRW SHW-160P6S ATA Device

I had it installed when I needed to read the W7 installation disk, so that I could install W7 (successfully.)
    The blank DVD's I'm trying to use are from Memorex (DVD+R 16X 4.7GB 120 min.)

Dick

Thanks
    Google for the model name of your device doesn't have much good news, I think DrWho was probably on the right track by suggesting a different burner.
    Matt Bidinger

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A "dumb" question . . . 'cause I'm not very knowledgeable about hardware:
    I run W7 on an older Dell 4600 desktop.
    The DVD drive mentioned above was added to my setup by a computer shop I use for such things.
    I had this done because I needed to be able to read the W7 DVD to install it; which I did.
    So, I can read/write to my CD drive.
    I can read, but not "burn", on my DVD drive.
    My question is:
    Is the Dell 4600 "powerful" enough to support DVD burning?

I'm asking because in poking around in "properties" for the DVD drive there are a couple of settings which have
    been lowered to "2", from "6"; and, if I'm understanding correctly, the system does this after a number of unsuccessful attempts at trying to burn something.

I'm also asking because I want to make sure the Dell 4600 can support DVD burning before I buy another replacement for what's currently installed.

THanks,
    Dick

Thanks
    Dick,

According to this user manual I found for the Dell 4600 you can burn DVDs if you have an operational DVD burner.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2011-08-14)

Administrator
    Thanks
    The 4600 should be able to burn DVDs as long as you have enough RAM, enough free disk space, and a fast enough disk drive. If you have an IDE disk drive and an IDE DVD you should make sure they are on different IDE channels.

Joe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2011-08-14)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to close the loop on this problem of mine:

This morning my computer shop replaced the DVD drive; and I was able to successfully burn the W7 ISO download.

Thanks to all who helped with their comments.

Dick

Thanks
    EDIT: 10 minutes too late! I didn't see Dick-Y's post until I hit submit. Anyways...

When you are dropping from 6 to 2, thats the "transfer mode" of the channel the drive is on, and you are right that it gets reduced after errors to slow down transfers in hopes there won't be further errors. Trying to read or burn an old disc that isn't readable anymore or a bad disc with scratches can result in that happening. I wrote an article about DMA/PIO mode on Windows XP 7 years ago. I figured it's probably not that relevant to W7 anymore, but maybe I'm wrong - kind of a bummer to see the same problems coming up almost a decade later.

I agree with Ted and Joe. No reason your machine can't support DVD burning, unless the DVD drive is bogus or your cats have been using your blank discs as scratching posts.

Seeing as how you had the DVD drive installed for you by a business, it may be an option for you to call them, let them know you are getting errors when trying to burn DVDs, and see if its something they can take a look at without charging you. They could possibly even try out a different DVD burner in your machine, and see if that fixes the problem before you go ahead and buy a replacement. I would call them and ask if they can test out DVD burning for you, let them know you are having problems, and that way if they can get their hands on it you could be sure what the problem is before spending the money on another burner. If they won't look at it for free though, I would just buy a new DVD burner and try it - you can pick one up for $20 or $30 bucks.

You could even replace the DVD burner yourself if you feel adventurous - the procedure is described (words and pictures) on page 90-94 of the manual Ted linked to above.
    Matt Bidinger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast