New Lounger
    Montreal, Quebec

search just keeps on going, keeps on going ...

My desktop runs in Windows XP sp3 (5.1.2600) and has several local hard drives. 2 drives are in 1 ESATA 2-bay doc, another in an ESATA 1-bay dock, 1 in a USB connected drive, and 2 drives onboard. 2 - 2TB hard drives are fully synced. When I search (F3) for a file containing specific words in the file name (there is only one instance in each drive) I get different results. When I do the search in either one of the 2 drives, the search finds 1 file in each. However, when I do the search in "My Computer", the search keeps on running until I push "stop". It then indicates it has found x files of the same name. Each file is exactly the same and in the same location. The same phenomenon occurs when the file is in my c:\ drive. How do I get the "My Computer" search to stop after it has found each different file containing these words in the file name ?

The reason Windows XP search takes so long is because it opens .zip and .cab files otherwise it would be pretty decent. If I were you I would turn off that "feature" and it would work well for you I bet. The only downside is opening zip files, but you could install 7zip to take care of that. Also you might just want to use FileSearchEX as it is a little faster than XP's default one. It is supposed to be for Windows 7 but I find it works well.

Run the following in a batch file:

Turn off cab and zip:
    regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll
    regsvr32 /u cabview.dll

Turn it back on:
    regsvr32 cabview.dll
    regsvr32 zipfldr.dll