Thanks

Cool When do you safely remove a device?

Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Good article. One rule of thumb in deciding what to yank out, and what not to would be the question you ask yourself;
    What is specifically running in my os that has deep hooks into the drive, be it a USB drive or other?

If you have operating system processes that are actively engaged on the drive, like indexing for instance, that will need to be stopped
    prior to unplugging.

Thanks
    Useful article - but surely there are devices other than USB drives that one might wish to remove?

I have three useless (flash) card readers that I want to remove permanently and never see again, anywhere, since I would never use them. Currently they appear as Portable Devices in (W7x64) Device Manager, with drive letters assigned...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Here's something that you might give a look at- USB Safely Remove. I believe the free offer ends today 8/12/11 @ midnight PST. Program seems to be highly regarded.

John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Useful article - but surely there are devices other than USB drives that one might wish to remove?

I have three useless (flash) card readers that I want to remove permanently and never see again, anywhere, since I would never use them. Currently they appear as Portable Devices in (W7x64) Device Manager, with drive letters assigned...
    Have you tried disabling them in device manager?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Have you tried disabling them in device manager?
    Surprisingly yes - all that happens is that they stay there, but are disabled. They still stay as drive letters in Windows Explorer.
    I want to remove them entirely, but sadly I have missed johjue's "USB Safely remove" offer...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    BATcher,

Free to try with a "nag" screen at CNET. Or here is the home site for more details. At least it may handle your current problem for you, and then uninstall it.

John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

Thanks
    My only rule of thumb, before unplugging a Flash Drive or External USB hard drive, is.....

If the activity light is not flashing, the system is not reading or writing to the drive, so I PLUCK IT!

I've never had any problem just following that simple rule. My computer doesn't seem to mind either.

Just a thought
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Surprisingly yes - all that happens is that they stay there, but are disabled. They still stay as drive letters in Windows Explorer.
    I want to remove them entirely, but sadly I have missed johjue's "USB Safely remove" offer...
    Now that has surprised me that they still get allocated a drive letter.

Do you have any options within the BIOS to disable these readers?

Finally, can you physically disconnect them from the motherboard? (Last resort I know and may not even be possible depending on your computer configuration)

Thanks
    Most mobo's for the past ??? years, have come with USB port pins on the board.
    All front ports or card slots plug onto these mobo pins. I'm hard pressed to see
    why anyone would want to unplug their card reader, (I use mine almost every day
    to read my SD camera card) but if you do, it's a pretty simple matter to pull one
    little plug off of those mobo pins. Caution: You may also disable your front panel
    USB port. Again, that's something I use every day, so I'd not want to disable it.

Every port of card slot that's a permanent part of your PC, will have a drive letter
    assigned to it.

Just a thought

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I agree with Dr.What...
    I leave my card reader and a few other USB devices plugged in all the time...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"