Thread: Hum

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hum

I started getting hum off and on while I'm on the computer. There are two computers attached in my network and I turned the 2nd one off. But that did not help. It sounds like interference from a radio or something. But the hum is consistent when it's on. That is that it does not change volume much or sound like there is any tapping or voice. I have a newer Motorola cable modem, but the sound did not begin at the time I installed it. and I have a Linksys 600n. So I'm not sure what to do. I turned off the "boost" in volume control on my 2nd machine but as I said, even when I turn it off, I get this noise coming and going.

Thanks
    Have you tried to disable / mute your sound to see if the humming continues (There will most likely be a sound icon on the taskbar. click it and choose mute to see what happens). If the problem resolves with mute, I would look at a new driver for the sound card. Go to Control Panel, Device Manager and check the name / mpdel of your sound device. Go to the manufacturers site to see if a driver is available.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Are you using a KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) adapter to control both machines on the network? If so, does the audio from both machines run through that too?

My initial thoughts are that it sounds like an audio feedback or grounding problem. If you have a KVM and or audio feed as described above, try removing it temporarily and run the single machine of a single keyboard, mouse and monitor etc. If the problem goes away, investigate your KVM/Audio wiring for any loose earth wires or loose shrouding screws (give everything a good waggle to check for loose/broken wires).

Thanks

Cool

It would be interesting to know if the Hmmmm is coming out of the speakers or not. Pull the audio output plug out of your computer and see if the hum stops.

If it does, then put the plug back in 'securely' and see if you still hear the hum.

Poor grounding can and does cause a speaker to hum, and usually does.

The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-08-11 at 13:36.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

kvm

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    It would be interesting to know if the Hmmmm is coming out of the speakers or not. Pull the audio output plug out of your computer and see if the hum stops.

If it does, then put the plug back in 'securely' and see if you still hear the hum.

Poor grounding can and does cause a speaker to hum, and usually does.

The Doctor
    Interesting the KVM switch was mentioned. The two computers have been attached to a KVM switch for a long time. I don't see anything loose. I did move the switch (a small box hanging behind the computer) up a little higher to see if moving away from another electrical device might help. So far it does not.