3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Atachment Security Warning

Outlook 2007 running under Windows 7 will not open .xls or .mdb files attached to a message. Following a very old tip I added a string "Level1Remove" ".mdb; .xls" to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12\Out look\Security. I seem to remember that this worked under XP, but now it does not. Any suggestions please
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    David,

Just Zip the file by right clicking it, select Send To, then Compressed (zipped file). Then send the zipped version. Person on the other end can open the zipped attachment and then save the .xls file where ever they want.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpollock View Post
    Outlook 2007 running under Windows 7 will not open .xls or .mdb files attached to a message
    I have no problem opening .xls files attached to a message in Outlook 07. Do it several times a week. Don't know what a .mdb is. Some kind of database, I guess.

Barbara

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Thanks
    I see this add-on was dated 2005. I have been using MS2007, Including Outlook since about 2009, first on an XP and now on Win7. We have 2 XP computers in our church office both also running MS2007, with Outlook. We have never had a problem on any of these machines with opening .xls or .xlsx files, so I am really curious why not? We send Excel documents back and forth all the time.

It does seem weird to me [must be my ignorance] that Microsoft Office regards one of it own programs as possibly dangerous.

Barbara

Administrator
    Thanks
    Some of these security restrictions were implemented an Office service pack - for Office 2007 I think it was SP2. So, if you don't have SP2 installed then you won't see these restrictions.

It is not that Microsoft does not trust its own program. It is that Office programs can run macros automatically when a document, spreadsheet, etc. is opened. So, Microsoft tried to force users to save the attachment before opening so the users anti-virus solution would be sure to scan the file.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Some of these security restrictions were implemented an Office service pack - for Office 2007 I think it was SP2. So, if you don't have SP2 installed then you won't see these restrictions.

It is not that Microsoft does not trust its own program. It is that Office programs can run macros automatically when a document, spreadsheet, etc. is opened. So, Microsoft tried to force users to save the attachment before opening so the users anti-virus solution would be sure to scan the file.

Joe
    I think the warning is coming from Windows, a Microsoft article http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA012299521033.aspx specifically states that xls files are not blocked

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry, I thought I remembered xls files being added to the blocked list.

See You cannot open linked file attchments for more information about the error message. This fix was part of the MS10-045 security update for Outlook2007 from July 3, 2010.

You could try emptying the Outlook secure temp folder. See Attachments remain in Outlook temporary storage to help determine the folder location.

Joe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

dpollock (2011-08-10)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is most strange. By taking out the Registry key altogether, I now get a simple Outlook dialog box with a warning and a choice of Open or Save. Problem seems to have gone away. Thank you all for your comments - it made me dig into corners which must have shifted some dirt!!!