Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update--.NET failed twice!

Installed 12 updates this a.m.--only 9 'took'. Three .NET Framework 4 updates 'failed'. Same thing on 2nd try. Looked up the Code 643 ("Windows Update_00000643" + "Windows Update_dt000"). Too esoteric for me---something about fooling with the Registry. "Windows Secrets" has mentioned many times how difficult it is to install .NET updates. What would you recommend? They are labeled 'recommended'. My OS is Windows Vista SP-2. Thanks. Jim

Thanks
    Unless you are having a problem with the apps that need these net Framework, I would not worry about them. Just right click them and choose hide.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Try installing one at a time.

Joe

Thanks
    Also temporarily disable your AV/AM security. It can sometimes interfere with Windows Update.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Try installing one at a time.

Joe
    I' ve tried the 'Security' update (has a checkmark by it) four (4) times. Failure each time!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You can try to download the update directly from Microsoft by going to the Microsoft Download Center and searching for the KB article associated with each patch.

You can also try the following troubleshooting steps which are very detailed and comprehensive that can be very time consuming:

1.) See Unified .NET framework troubleshooting guide.

2.) See What to do if .NET troubleshooting does not help.

3.) See .NET framework cleanup tool guide.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was about to make a new post and then discovered this thread: I think, effective today (Monday August 15, 2011) or yesterday two more NET Framework 4 updates have been posted, and I suspect, after initial malware checks, that they are causing a Windows Explorer stops working error. I have this on three Win 7x64 computers simultaneously, so perhaps others have run into the same thing.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You can try to download the update directly from Microsoft by going to the Microsoft Download Center and searching for the KB article associated with each patch.
    I had this same problem too on my Vista 64 bit Ultimate SP2 system and downloading the separate updates and running them did resolve this problem for me.

One quick way to get to the updates without searching the download center is to open Windows Update on your computer, click on Review Update History, double click on the failed update to get the View Details box, and there will be a link there taking you directly to the KB for that update. The KB will have the download link.

I decided to install the updates because I had downloaded a program that requires .net4 and it was installed on my computer as part of that installation. I can't remember which program it is so I thought I'd be safe and keep .net4 updated.
    Last edited by MikeFinn; 2011-08-15 at 21:03.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I installed all .net patches for 7 x64 and x86 and had no issues whatsoever.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    NET appears to have been a false alarm for me, although it is still possible. I have recovered the use of two of the three computers using restore points, but the problem goes back as far as last week on one of them, so it has been a problem for longer than I realized. As I go through the process of updating the machines I may discover the cause, which is almost certainly the same for all since the failures are so close in time. I must admit, this is horribly time-consuming, and if I find a cause I will post it, unless, that is, someone else installed something recently that killed Windows Explorer, and posts the answer first.