Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vacation is over, it's big round of patches

PATCH WATCH

Vacation’s over; it’s a big round of patches

By Susan Bradley

It might be the dog days of August, but keeping our systems secure must go on.

The priorities for this Patch Tuesday week are Internet Explorer and Adobe updates, while .NET patching remains on hiatus.

The full text of this column is posted at Windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/vacations-over-its-a-big-round-of-patches// (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2011-08-10 at 20:19.

iNET Interactive
    Thanks
    To all Patch Watch readers. I the e-mailed newsletter we said that the regularly updated problem-patch chart would be posted here. Unfortunately, we had problems converting the chart from HTML. You can find it in the online version of this week's Patch Watch at:

http://windowssecrets.com/patch-watc...nd-of-patches/

- Tracey Capen, editor in chief

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts

Patch Watch

The current patch watch column mis-identifies the patch for ActiveX Killbits as 2552937 and it should be 2562937.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks

patch watch table

Is the patch watch table published at a consistent place every week? I might be missing it, but I was looking for a link that I could bookmark, that I could easily click to get to the link when windows update pops up and wants to install patches. Is there such a link?

I know about the link from the newsletter, but that seems to go to a column that changes every week, I'm just looking for a link to the patch watch table itself that I can bookmark.

Thanks!
    Ron (paid subscriber)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Susan,

Been reading all about your concerns with MS.Net Framework 4 and all the problems associated with it.

Based on your concerns, I uninstalled version 4 and guess what....my system seems to be running (reacting) a bit faster when clicking on desktop icons to start up different apps and such.

But, just a quick question: I went poking around my system (Windows 7 Home Premium) and discovered the following:

Under C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework there are versions 1.0.3705, 1.4322, 2.0.50727, 3.0 and 3.5 on the system.

Under C:\Windows\Microsoft\Framework64 there are versions 2.0.5727, 3.0 and 3.5 on the system.

None of these show up as being installed under the Control Panel Programs and Features.

However, when I run services.msc to see what services are running, enabled or disabled, I found Microsoft.Net Framework NGEN v2.0.5727_x64 and _x86.....both set to "automatic".

Question: Do I need all these different versions on my system and if not, can I just delete the folders or do I have to uninstall them somehow?

This can really get confusing for a rookie.

And I'll pose a question about Visual C++ later....but just to tweak ya, I have 13 different instances of it that show up in Programs and Features.

As I said......highly confusing.

Take care and have a great day and I look forward to your response.

Bill
    Last edited by wonkabear; 2011-08-11 at 10:23.
    "2 wrongs do not make a right, but 3 lefts do."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wonkabear For This Useful Post:

JohnS0603 (2011-08-12)

Thanks
    See this thread for your answer.

edit: Post #2 states a problem occured trying to format the patch list this week. You have to Log In to the paid subscriber section to view the chart.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-08-11 at 10:53.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted...but...

that is just the latest post from Susan, which also includes the table. From what the link looks like, that link will change with every post she makes, every week. I looked at the thread you linked to, and I didn't see anything in there referring to a static link to the table.

Am I missing something? Or am I not wording what I'm looking for very well?

Thanks,
    Ron

Thanks
    See my above post for an edit
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    yeah, I'm not wording it very well.

I did click on that link, and I did log in, and I did see the table. However, that link includes the title of the post - "vacation is over" etc...so next friday, after she has posted next week's table, or a month from now, after she has posted updated versions of the table, if I click on that same link, it'll take me to THIS week's post...and an outdated table, right?

What I'm looking for is a static (non-changing) link that will always go to the most recent version of the table...it doesn't need to go to the latest post, just to the latest table...is there such a link?

And if not, can there be (question for Susan, I suppose)? I read the newsletter at work, and when I'm on my home computers, and I get the windows update pop up and a list of patches, it'd be really nice to have a bookmarked link that I can click on to reference the table easily.

I hope that explains it better...

Ron

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Sorry, there is no static link. Perhaps one could be created. You need to contact the editor with a suggestion to that effect - use the "Contact" tab at the top of the page.

Joe

iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Patch Watch link

Having a static link to the most current Patch Watch table is probably possible, but not something we can implement soon. We are still working on the idiosyncrasies of publishing from WordPress.

You should know that the chart is updated every second and forth Thursday of the month -- not every week. Also, to keep the size of the table manageable, we must remove patches that are safe to install after a couple of chart cycles. So the chart can change significantly from version to version.

Your best bet for keeping up with the latest chart is to use this link: http://windowssecrets.com/category/patch-watch/

The Patch Watch columns are listed in chronological order, newest first.

Tracey Capen, editor in chief

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracey Capen For This Useful Post:

cyberdiva (2011-08-16)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again.
    What is the status of the older NET patches KB2559049 and KB2518870?
    Geoffrey

Lounger
    Thanks
    The next to the last item on the Patch Watch Chart is for a KB 2552937 - Active X controls update, with an Install recommendation. I was offerred a KB 2562937 - Update rollup for Active X killbits. I can't find the Patch Chart item in Susan's column and when I click on the MS link in my Updates, it takes me to a Security Advisory dated August 9, so I couldn't research the MS Bulletin number. Is the Chart number a typeo? Are they two versions on the same update? Advice on KB 2562937?

Thanks,
    MarciaG

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wonkabear View Post
    Dear Susan,

Been reading all about your concerns with MS.Net Framework 4 and all the problems associated with it.

Based on your concerns, I uninstalled version 4 and guess what....my system seems to be running (reacting) a bit faster when clicking on desktop icons to start up different apps and such.

But, just a quick question: I went poking around my system (Windows 7 Home Premium) and discovered the following:

Under C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework there are versions 1.0.3705, 1.4322, 2.0.50727, 3.0 and 3.5 on the system.

Under C:\Windows\Microsoft\Framework64 there are versions 2.0.5727, 3.0 and 3.5 on the system.

None of these show up as being installed under the Control Panel Programs and Features.

However, when I run services.msc to see what services are running, enabled or disabled, I found Microsoft.Net Framework NGEN v2.0.5727_x64 and _x86.....both set to "automatic".

Question: Do I need all these different versions on my system and if not, can I just delete the folders or do I have to uninstall them somehow?

This can really get confusing for a rookie.

And I'll pose a question about Visual C++ later....but just to tweak ya, I have 13 different instances of it that show up in Programs and Features.

As I said......highly confusing.

Take care and have a great day and I look forward to your response.

Bill
    As I've written before, I can't tell you if you need all of these versions because I don't know what software you have on your pc. I have older versions of Quickbooks and they need versions of .net ranging from 1.1 to 2.
    So look to see what applications appear to run .net.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SusanBradley For This Useful Post:

JohnS0603 (2011-08-12)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    The current patch watch column mis-identifies the patch for ActiveX Killbits as 2552937 and it should be 2562937.
    No code has to be inserted here.
    Ah thanks for the catch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast