Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Angry Despite upgrade and reinstall, e-mails still unformatted

.... the problem still remains: I keep receiving all my e-mails unformatted.

Don't know what else can I do to solve this ANNOYING and costly problem, as I just upgraded to M$ Office 2010, believing this would end my troubles.

HELP!!!

Regards,
    Flores

Cross-reference to earlier thread on Outlook 2007: Unformatted e-mails Outlook 2007 HELP
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-08-15 at 00:54. Reason: Added cross-reference.

Administrator
    Thanks
    When you open an individual email item does it have "HTML" following the work "Message" in the window title?

Can you confiure the email format at your ISP?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Hi Flores,

Sorry that the problem hasn't gone away.
    I think I suggested this before, but I can't be sure (think I suggested you tried using Windows Live Mail). Free accounts, such as gmail or hotmail, now have the ability to allow you to get all your email, from any accounts supporting POP. Why don't you try to get one of these configured to receive your email?
    If with such an account, emails displayed properly, you would know that the issue lies with your setup. If they did not, you'd know the issue lies somewhere with your ISP.

So, between WLM and this one, you have two ways to determine the origin of your problem.

Abraços

Rui

Thanks
    When you open an individual email item does it have "HTML" following the work "Message" in the window title?Can you confiure the email format at your ISP?
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for your help, but I am not an expert with all the settings involved in Outlook.

Can you clarify me a bit more about the "HTML" following the work "Message" in the window title"? Where do I exacly look for it?

I don't know how to configure the e-mail format at my ISP. I will check with them.

Cheers,
    Flores

Thanks
    Olá meu caro Rui,

Yes, you did wrote to me to try using WLM, but I didn't.
    After spending so much time and money tryng to solve the problem, I will keep trying Outlook 2010.
    I'm quite hardheaded.
    No doubt, I will follow your advice if everything else fails.
    Regards,
    Flores

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amflores View Post
    Olá meu caro Rui,

Yes, you did wrote to me to try using WLM, but I didn't.
    After spending so much time and money tryng to solve the problem, I will keep trying Outlook 2010.
    I'm quite hardheaded.
    No doubt, I will follow your advice if everything else fails.
    Regards,
    Flores
    Olá Flores,

My suggestion was not to have WLM to replace Outlook 2010. It was to see where the "unformatting" occurs because, unfortunately, after all the effort you have gone through, your problem remains. In other words. If email looks fine in WLM and, better still, in gmail, you will know the problem lies with the ISP, not your PC.

I actually think the gmail / hotmail test solution would be the one that I would take, because it would remove your PC totally out of the equation. If emails show unformatted there, you will know it's your provider, because you computer won't have had any intervention for the messages to get there.

So this would be a test scenario, to eliminate (or confirm) your computer as part of the problem. Going hotmail / gmail has the greatest chance of allowing you to do that.

Abraços

Rui

Thanks
    ..... Going hotmail / gmail has the greatest chance of allowing you to do that.
    Olá Rui,

This is what I did:
    From my Outlook 2010 I sent several differently formatted e-mails to another e-mail account I have (Gmail).
    All included plain text, WordArt text and page colors, some Rich Text, some in HTML
    They were received by Gmail, but some had no message at all, while others had just a file (winmail.dat) and no formatted text whatsoever.

Also, but important, checking my Outlook "Sent Items" folder none of them were formated and only the Rich Text and HTML ones had the plain text and WordArt text unformatted.

As we say here "Durma-se com um barulho destes!"

Abraços,
    Flores

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for your help, but I am not an expert with all the settings involved in Outlook.

Can you clarify me a bit more about the "HTML" following the work "Message" in the window title"? Where do I exacly look for it?

I don't know how to configure the e-mail format at my ISP. I will check with them.

Cheers,
    Flores
    When you open an email item the title is centered at the top of the email message window.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    When you open an email item the title is centered at the top of the email message window.
    Hello Joe,

All of my hundreds of saved e-mails are unformatted, and most of them were not before this problem started.
    Please, see the attachment (in portuguese, meaning unformatted text).

I have sent an e-mail to my ISP explaining the problem. I hope they are helpful.

Thanks, once again.

Regards,
    Flores

Administrator
    Thanks
    Olá Rui,

This is what I did:
    From my Outlook 2010 I sent several differently formatted e-mails to another e-mail account I have (Gmail).
    All included plain text, WordArt text and page colors, some Rich Text, some in HTML
    They were received by Gmail, but some had no message at all, while others had just a file (winmail.dat) and no formatted text whatsoever.

Also, but important, checking my Outlook "Sent Items" folder none of them were formated and only the Rich Text and HTML ones had the plain text and WordArt text unformatted.

As we say here "Durma-se com um barulho destes!"

Abraços,
    Flores
    Olá,

The file winmail.dat is a consequence of using Rich Text format, which is pretty much an Outlook thing. You can read about it here: http://email.about.com/od/outlooktip...in_Outlook.htm

I probably would not use Rich Text, and would use HTML when plain text cannot or is not used for some reason. What happens when sending just HTML messages?

Thanks
    What happens when sending just HTML messages?
    Olá Rui,

I sent a test e-mail (HTML) with page color, attached image and some wordart to my Gmail address and it was received OK.

Regards,
    Flores

Administrator
    Thanks
    Olá Flores,

So if you resend it back to you, does it show normally in Outlook?

Regards

Thanks
    So if you resend it back to you, does it show normally in Outlook?
    Olá Rui,

Sorry for taking so long to answer your post.

I contacted my ISP. They told me that the problem has to do with my system, and they can do nothing, but suggested that I try Thunderbird, what I did.

Using Outlook, I sent a formated message (Rich Text), using a page color, an attached image and some wordart.
    I recived this msg using Thunderbird with the following results:
    No page color, text unformated, no wordart and an attached file winmail.dat I did not open (probably the image)

I repeated the procedure using HTML. It was received OK by Thunderbird, except for the page color !!!!

So, what conclusions can we get from these tests?

Abraços,
    Flores

Administrator
    Thanks
    Olá Flores,

First, I think you shouldn't use Rich Text. As I wrote before, it's basically an Outlook only thing, so not much point in using it when you really don't know which clients will be used by the people you email.

The Thunderbird test is interesting. I think it rules out your ISP as the source of the problem. Can you take it one step further and let us know if that same email that shows basically right in Thunderbird shows also ok in Outlook?

Abraços

Rui

Thanks
    .....First, I think you shouldn't use Rich Text. .....The Thunderbird test is interesting. I think it rules out your ISP as the source of the problem. Can you take it one step further and let us know if that same email that shows basically right in Thunderbird shows also ok in Outlook?
    Olá Rui,

I have used Rich Text this time for testing against HTML.

No, the same e-mail is shown unformatted in Outlook.

Another thing I have noticed when testing a formatted message in Outlook: As soon as I click the SEND command, the copy in the SENT ITEMS looses all formatting.

If Thunderbird is receiving formatted e-mail, then we can rule out any problems with the ISP and Win7.

Maybe some settings in Outlook. Remember that the problem started when I was using Outlook 2007 and upgrading to OL 2010 did not solve it.

Abraços,

Flores

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast