marketforce

Shortcut keys don't work

A friend is trying to launch programs using keyboard shortcuts (e.g. ctrl+alt+w to launch MSword) on his Win98 system. I've walked him through the process, but the keyboard shortcuts don't work. The shortcuts work fine on my system. Any idea what may be wrong?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shortcut keys don't work

If you're using the default "shortcut" icons that come with Office (size = 3kb), the keyboard shortcuts don't work with them. I just created shortcuts to winword.exe, excel.exe, etc. (size = 1kb) & created the keyboard shortcuts to them. Maybe that's the problem. I deleted all the default shortcut icons except the one to Outlook, as it has some features to its property box.

marketforce

The problem occurs with desktop shortcuts to *any* program (e.g. notepad), as well as to shortcuts on the Start menu. The only desktop shortcuts that can be launched with a keyboard shortcut are shortcuts to folders.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You're not alone. Mine sometimes don't work, until i can get them to "stick".

I think I know what my problems are: multiple shotcuts.

I suspect that somehow I assign a shortcut key to a shortcut that isn't visble, or something.

I know this sounds terribly vague, and users ought to be snorting "Ridiculous!", with reason.

Typically I'll have MS-DOS shortcut on the Start menu, in Start/programs, and on the desktop. I assign Ctrl-Alt-C to one of them, and it doesn't work. I remove two of the three shortcuts, re-assign Ctrl-Alt-C to the survivor, and it works.