New Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstall misdirected windows 7

I accidently installed windows 7 on my D: drive (the data drive). Realising this, I installed it correctly on the C: drive.

How do I delete it from the D: drive. I keep on getting messages for "Trusted Installer" which I change to "Administrator trevorf2", but it still won't delete. The presence of the installation on the D: drive is interfering with the data backup as it keeps on making a system image rather than a straight file backup.

Thanks for any help.

trevorf2

Thanks
    Have you used Disk manager (right click My Computer and choose Manage, then Disk Management or type disk management in search box.)? Both C drive and D drive should show there, Right click the D drive and select delete. You will most likely have to re-format and set to logical to use what will show as unallocated after you delete it.

DiskManagement.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted. Unfortunately, the delete option on the menu is greyed out, and no other delete effort works either. I can't find any way to eliminate the problem, including getting the drive to re-format.

Any further suggestions? I'm at my wits end.

Thanks mate!

Trevor

Thanks
    I'm wondering if a 3rd party app such as Partition Wizard would have more success at deleting the incorrect partition. There have been some partitioning things I accomplished from Partition Wizard that Win 7 Disk Management would not allow. You might have to use Partition Wizard to expand your C Drive to include the D drive, then when you have one partition with just one copy of Win 7 installed, you can repartition to rebuid your D Drive.

Otherwise you may have to use a command prompt and delete the D Drive before Windows starts. I do not know enough about a DOS environment to give you correct commands to accomplish this. When you boot there should be a way to boot to a DOS environment before Windows starts. Perhaps someone else could jump in here to help with the correct procedure to accomplish a format of the D Drive from DOS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Hello Trevor,

Check out the free Parted Magic Live CD. This is a Linux based boot CD ISO image you can burn to CD. It will boot your PC so you can change partitions before Windows kicks in. I have used it on several occasions to remove stubborn partitions. You should be able to remove your D: partition without difficulty using Parted Magic. And you do not have to know anything about Linux to use it. If you use this, note the size of your C:\ and D:\ partitions so you can tell one from the other within Parted Magic, as it uses Linux disk references when it displays your partitions. It may be useful to name both partitions as well. That is advisable in any case.

Another alternative is the Free EaseUS Partition Manager Home Edition.

I've used both, and they work great. But as a precaution, image your C:\ drive before attempting any operation involving the removal of any partition.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both for the help. I'll let you know over the weekend how I get on. But as it's now 2211 Friday night, I'm going to bed - I've got to work on the 12 acres tomorrow cleaning up and then mowing to control clover and other unwanted weeds.

Trevor

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Deadeye81!

I finally got time to do what I needed to do - use Parted Magic Live CD. It works like a treat! I have the CD now safely kept in my (small) CD file of "useful programs".

Please take my heartfelt thanks for your help.

Trevor

Thanks
    Hi Trevor,

You are very welcome. I am glad you were able to resolve your disk problem. Thanks for posting back your success.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My pleasure Deadeye 81! Now, I have to work on making sure that I can remover the "System Reserved" partition without making my PC unbootable. So far, the discussions I've read are a bit too ambiguous for me to try it. Certainy, I can remove the partition with Parted Magic, but the consequences are so far uncertain.

Trevor

Thanks
    Here is an explanation of and a removal process for this System Reserved partition. I have removed this partition on 4 different PCs with various Win 7 versions. Be sure you follow the instructions because your boot files reside there. These files can be moved, or the MBR can be fixed fairly easily. A Google Search shows many sites on how to do this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted.

I've looked rather throroughly at the 'net, and just end up uncertain as to whether or not I can remove the partition. The explanation you gave me is the only one I've seen that makes good sense. I'll let you know how I get on.

Trevor