2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word7 Get a new style to appear in a custom template

With Word 7, I successfully created a custom template with several styles for bullets, text, and headings, and used it to develop two documents. While revising one of the documents, I added several new styles and used them successfully in that document.

But now, when I open the second document, the new styles don't appear in the list of styles. They don't appear in the template either (when I open it as if it were a document). How can I get the new styles into my template so that I can use them in other documents?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The simplest way is to open the document; right-click each of the new styles in turn (in the Quick Styles gallery if they appear there, otherwise in the Styles pane that opens with the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S) and choose Modify; in the Modify Style dialog, click the option button at the bottom for "New documents based on this template"; and close the document. When prompted whether to save changes to the template, say Yes.

The alternative is to use the Organizer dialog. At the bottom of the Styles pane, click the Manage Styles button (third of the three similar buttons), and click the Import/Export button in the dialog that opens. On one side of the Organizer you should see the name of the currently open document, and on the other side you'll probably see Normal.dotm. Click the Close File button under Normal.dotm; when it changes into an Open File button, click it again and select the custom template. Select the new styles (hold Ctrl while clicking to choose more than one at once). Click the Copy button when its arrow is pointing toward the template. Again, when closing, say Yes to the prompt to save. You can also use the Organizer to copy styles from the document or template to other existing documents that don't yet have them.

You'd probably benefit from reading this article about the relation between documents and their templates, and what does and doesn't travel from one to the other: http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...relations.html and also http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...htemplate.html

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Styles management in W2007/10 is powerful and with that, complex.

A couple places control what you see in the styles pane. One is Style Pane Options > Select styles to show. The choices are Recommended (shows styles in the order you designate), In current document, In use, and All styles (shows all nonhidden and non-hide-until-used styles) in Style Pane Options. Choose each one and check the styles pane listing in your "second document".

The other is Manage Styles > Recommend tab. On this tab you can assign the numeric values used to order the display of styles (the recommended order). You can also designate what styles to show, hide until used, or hide. If a style is marked "hide", it won't show up in the Styles pane (in my experience).

Note: the styles in the Styles gallery on the Home tab appear in the recommend order.

Pam
    Last edited by PamCaswell; 2011-08-12 at 12:46.

Thanks
    Note that after you have transferred your new styles to your template as suggested by Mr Freedman they still will not be available in existing documents based on the template. They will be available to new documents based on the template. (Read the Kelly articles they are short and well-written.)

Also I assume you mean Word 2007. I believe that is Word13. The versions of Word go back a ways. You can see the version number under help.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Successful help with styles and templates

Thanks for all of the help with getting additional styles to show up and be available in a custom template!

I ended up needing to use the Organizer (see first reply from J. Freedman) to copy the new styles into the template.

I also needed to re-Attach the template to the second document, Automatically Updating the styles, to get them to show up in the list of styles. Then I went back to the dialog box and un-checked Automatically Update. I try to keep automatic updates turned off, even when that causes some extra work.

I'm good to go until the next problem!!