Lounger
    Thanks

Autonumber tickets (Word 97 SR1, NT)

Greetings and salutations.
    My question for the group, I have a user who needs to print tickets from time to time and would like it to autonumber. (not a problem with this). However, the numerical format will vary from time to time, ie. 001 - 099 to 901 to 999. As well, they would like to be able have ticket page be only one page long (10 tickets) but continue printing until the input sequence is done (ie Print 001 to 199) and have the correct number of pages generated. I figured the autonumber could be coded for the format through and ASK field, (right?) but how do I print the correct length of pages and incorporate the autonumbered tickets?
    Your input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Autonumber tickets (Word 97 SR1, NT)

Aha! Woody had a couple of issues discussing tickets when he had a problem to solve for his son. Go to the archives of WOW & look for 5/8/01 V6-n23 & 5/16/01 V6-n24. You can find them at:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/archtemplate.asp?v6-n23>http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/ar...ate.asp?v6-n23</A> and
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/archtemplate.asp?v6-n24>http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/ar...ate.asp?v6-n24</A>

Hope this helps.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Just a suggestion - there ARE better solutions :
    Create two documents: excel worksheet (as numbers source and Word table (for tickets.) Using Mail Merge (Tools | Mail Merge) follow the wizard, inserting numbers from excel worksheet. It's very easy to create numbers sequence in Excel (enter two consequence numbers one under another, highlight both cells , hit the cross in lower right corner of highlighted cells and pull it down until you reach desirable amount of numbers) and format Ticket cells.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I had the same problem, and have found an excellent solution, which I put into a Word document (so I can refer to it when I need to do it again). It includes fairly detailed instruction on exactly what to do to produce the tickets. I have attached the file for whatever use it may be. I would gladly accept comments on how to improve my notes, or suggestions on improving the process.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Carl:
    The document appears to be blank or corrupt, unless something is wrong with my machine. I also receive an error message upon trying to open it with Word 2000 that the document name or path is not valid.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Apparently the attachment did not work -- maybe I did it wrong -- it was my first try at posting here. I'll try again, with a brief summary here.
    What I have used is an Excel file for the numbers -- one column, cell A1 = "TicketNum", cell A2 = 1, cell A3 = A1+1, and copy A3 as far as needed to get the numbers needed. I also formatted them as "0000#" so they show up as 5 digits with leading zeroes. The tickets are a Word table, 4 columns sized .3", 3.2", .3", and 3.2", and 5 rows exactly 2". Page setup has top .5", bottom 0', left and right both .75", and ignore the margins too small message. Create basic body of the ticket in cell A2 of this table, put "No. " in cell A1 and format>text direction to make it vertical, also centered. Select Tools>Mail Merge>Catalog, use this as main document, and your Excel file as data source (need to let it see files with .xls extension). in A1, Insert Merge field (TicketNum). You may also have this field in the main body of the ticket. Copy A1 and A2 to A3 and A4. in A3, just before the merge filed, select Insert Word Field>Next Record. Now copy A3/A4 to B1/B2, B3/B4, ..., E3/E4. When you merge, enter starting and ending numbers in Records to be Merged to select ticket numbers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Carl:
    Thanks for posting your solution. It's very similar to <post#=85481>post 85481</post#>. There's actually an easy way to do this in Word using without using mail merge.
    1. Just create a page of labels.
    2. In the label dialog box, decide what size labels you want.
    3. Press Ctrl+F9 to insert field braces & type a field as: { SEQ A # 00000 }
    4. Press enter & put in the wording of the ticket & press OK.

You can select & center all the paragraphs, if you want. If you only want the numbers centered you can:
    Find: ^d
    Replace: ^& (& press Ctrl+E in the replace box to center the paragraph)

I still wasn't able to open your document, but I'm not sure why. I was able to download it, but got the message that the document path wasn't valid.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tried using your suggestion. It created a one page Word document with 30 tickets. I need 1000 tickets. How do you get this suggestion to work to produce all the tickets one needs? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See TonyE's attachment to <post:=382,646>post 382,646</post:>. It contains a macro that asks you how many pages of tickets you want. The tickets will be numbered sequentially.