2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Measuring bandwidth into and out of Win2008 Server

Hi there

I have a server hosted at the ISP's datacentre. There is a 1Gb traffic per month limit set, with a charge for anything over that.

Up until now, I have never been charged for any over use of the bandwidth, however this month I got a bill for July, stating that I had more than 4Gb over the stated 1Gb bandwidth, and was sent a huge bill..... sent me reeling!

Is there a way in which Windows Server 2008 can provide me with statistics detailing how much traffic has gone through my network port? I just don't know where all this traffic is coming from, because the Google Analytics does not indicate many pages viewed on the website per month (and those pages are small.)

There are plenty of images uploaded, but they are not shown on the webserver stats as being downloaded.

Is there a way that I can measure the traffic independently of the ISP?

Thanks a mil!
    Alain Jacquet

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you just want to look at quantity of data, the Status of the network adapter will show that (since a re-boot, or enabling of adapter).

However, if you want to know where the traffic has come from, you could look at your web server logs. For an even more detailed review you could use TCPView from Sysinternals.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had a look at TCPView - it seems to do what is required, but it does not do it whilst running as a service. I access the server by remote desktop, and for security I log off each time I am done. The system needs t orun as a service to monitor what traffic has been going through the network port.

The status of the network adapter does indeed indicate how much bandwidth has travelled through it.... the problem comes with windows updtes that re-start the server automatically - and the data is then not recorded!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OK, for running it as a service, you could review this discussion on the MSFN forums - Disclaimer: I've not tried it!

Regarding monitoring the network adapter and reboots of the server: Normal practice on a webserver is to control the patches and restarts oneself. If you manage the updates yourself, you can choose what to install and what not to and more importantly for these purposes, when to restart (and reset the network adapter status stats).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Would something like BitMeter (codebox.org) work for this? I have it running on a PC and can see upload/download/both MB/GB for the last few hours, days or months.
    timledford

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there

Thanks for the responses - and I can also now report back on a solution!

There is a free application called Networx from Softperfect which will measure all traffic in and out on a particular network port or on all... It is pretty comprehensive in its reporting and I have it now running on my desktop. Very nice!
    http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

The problem with this programme is that it only runs when you are logged on, and you can't run it as a service. (OK - there are ways of running a programme as a service, but it's complicated, and does not always work). Since the server runs most of hte time without any user being logged in (and it is a security risk if you leave a server running like that anyhow) Networx will not do the job for me.

I have since found a paid-for product that does exactly the same as Networx, but runs as a service. It is produced by Hoonet and is called Net Meter. On its own it runs as a service and collects the data that you need, but it also hooks into the very special Sysinternals TCPView which allows you to track more specific and detailed connections (find out where the traffic is going to!). It costs US$24-95 but I think it is worth it, especially for this purpose.
    http://www.hootech.com/NetMeter/

Tim - I did also look at BitMeter, however it is no longer supported. There is now BitMeter2 and BitMeterOS, which I have downloaded, but not tried out yet. I will give that a whirl when the free 30 day trial runs out on NetMeter...... Thanks for pointing it out for me.

Alain

Thanks
    If it's the same NetMeter as I used to use, I found it quite often trashed its own statistics files.

NetWorx has been far more reliable for me - with the limitations previously pointed out...
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Batcher

Thanks for the response.... I do want to point out that NetMeter does the job, so far (I am in the trial period still). I guess the trashing of stats files might be something to do with teh size of those stats files? It has been perfectly stable so far for me.

I am going to look into some of the others - BitMeter is a GNU licenced free solution.... so that will be my next port of call.

My main objective at the moment is to be able to verify what my ISP is charging me for - I hate not being able to check that what they are invoicing me for is actually what is going through my network card!

I will keep posting with my experiences with the different options.

Cheers
    Alain