Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update KB2559049

I have IE7 installed as my browser. I rarely use it except for Windows Updates or Java Updates. I prefer Firefox.

In downloading the latest eight updates, I downloaded KB2559049 (Cumulative Update for Windows XP) first. Immediately upon downloading I received this Blue Screen error with the following message:

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0X0000000A (OX008AFD1E, OX00000002, 0X00000001, 0X804E787F)"

Then, there was a lengthy list of actions to take should it occur again...not within my expertise, I'm afraid.

Ending portion stated:

"Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Physical memory dump complete
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

There is nothing appearing in my Event Viewer in Administrative Tools, and I have not installed any new hardware nor software.

I was able to restart my computer without a problem, and was also able to download and install the remaining updates without incident.

Anyone else have a problem with this IE update for Windows XP? Regardless of the fact that I hardly use IE, I'm contemplating upgrading to IE8. My question is - do I risk receiving the Blue Screen again when downloading and installing the update in question? Any ideas or suggestions? Many thanks.
    Last edited by Nomad; 2011-08-12 at 11:19.

Thanks
    Make sure you running SP3.Also I suggest you update your Internet Explorer to #8.All for security reasons if not for anything else.
    This site you can download for,Free a memory test;http://www.memtest.org/
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Lounger
    Thanks
    Chowur, thank you for your reply. So that I may be enlightened, how would the "memtest" you recommend be helpful in this situation? My knowledge with this is miniscule.....I guess what I'm mainly interested in, right now, is.....would upgrading to IE8 negate any future re-appearance of the dreaded "Blue Screen of Death"!

And, yes, I am running SP3.
    Last edited by Nomad; 2011-08-12 at 15:17.

Thanks
    In the computer world,thier is,NO guarantee.But it sure wouldn't hurt @ this point.To upgrade to IE8.
    As you stated in your post;"Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Physical memory dump complete.Is the reason why I sugested the memory test.
    Here's M$ link that explains the update in question;http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2559049 Scroll down to the section that reads;Hotfixes
    The article might give you some insight.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Chower,
    The Physical memory dump message is the result of Windows error handling of a Blue screen error and most likely has nothing to do with a memory error. Memory errors usually show up as random system hangs and crashes, not for a specific error like this one.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    A BSOD with a 0A stop code is often the result of a faulty driver. Did you recently update an drivers?

If you are going to upgrade to IE8 anyway, I'd do that first. You'll still be offered the cumulative update after IE8 is installed.

If/when you decide to try the update again you can go to MS11-057 and download the version appropriate for you. Then disconnect from the internet, turn your A/V off, and try to install.

You could also try to install the fix from safe mode.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I upgraded to IE8, and all the necessary updates were also installed. I encountered no problems....everything seems to be running A-OK. Thank you all for your insight and recommendations.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Good. Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe