New Lounger
    Thanks

Genealogy - Looking for User Recommendations

Hi Folks,

I am at the time in my life (okay I'm old) when I would like to get started on producing our family tree. There are so many programs out there that it boggles the mind. I have read several posts on the subject however they are quite old. Free is good however I am willing to spend the money for a good product.
    Your recommendation(s) would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Senueh........ long time "tombstone kicker" here. I got started in my earliest PC days with Personal Ancestral file which is the free program from the LDS church. It has migrated through many versions and now is quite sharp looking. A good for-purchase program is Family Tree Maker, not sure who makes it now but it started out with Broderbund; Just took a quick look and Ancestry.com seems to have bought it and is marketing it for $39.95. I see the advertising says it has been the favorite for 20 years so that tells me I've been doing family history work for longer, because it came out after I got started.

Whatever you use be sure it does GedComs. On line research is much easier now than in the old days. Ancestry advertises on TV a LOT, but it is pretty pricey to subscribe and you do need a good fast internet connection. Make friends with the genealogy dept head of your local library, where they may subscribe to Ancestry and allow you to use it while in the library. And read some basic research books before you jump in willy-nilly and go off in the wrong direction.

Barbara

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Barbara for the sound advice.

"tombstone kicker" ..............you gotta love it. lol

Cheers

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using Family Tree Maker for about 20 years and am very happy with it. Have to upgrade every 5 yrs or so.
    www.Ancestry.com is an excellent online program that ties in with FTM and that is what I use mostly now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Millenium Legacy. I use Ancestry.com for research. Legacy builds the data base and I find it exceptional for my use. You can enter details (stories, sources, etc) and when you prepare a book those notes are displayed. And it makes an automatic index as it goes along.