New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Backup always fails to file the file specified. (0x80070002).

Hi All,
    Seems like experts agree that I should be content with Windows Backup:
    http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...data-security/
    http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...t-need-part-3/

These are people I trust, so I dropped my guard and tried Windows Backup ... with an external 1TB e-SATA Freeagent GoFlex backup drive. (Which, by the way, has worked fine with Cobian Backup 10 Boletus.)

Windows Backup fails every time, with a nonsense message in the Event Viewer (pasted below).

I've googled to no avail. Although googling for Win Backup failures in Win 7 convinces me that the best way back to trouble-free backups and data security is to abandon Win Backup.

Any suggests are welcome.

Event details:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Windows Backup
    Date: 8/14/2011 12:00:26 PM
    Event ID: 4104
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Description:
    The backup was not successful. The error is: The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002).
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Windows Backup" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">4104</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-14T10:00:26.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>11107</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)</Data>
    <Binary>02000780E30500003F0900005B090000420ED1665C 2BEE174B64529CB14610EA71000000</Binary>
    </EventData>
    </Event>
    GG

Thanks
    Many of us, having tried the Win 7 Backup and Restore, have switched to 3rd party backup and Imaging apps for various reasons. In my case i use Acronis True Image Home, both 2010 and 2011 for my needs. I find the 3rd party apps are much more powerful in what they can do, and are much more full featured. For simple back up or Imaging, Win 7 will work in most cases, but I prefer the option to change things more than allowed in Win 7 Backup and Restore. YMMV.

Imaging and backup is so important, I believe you have to be comfortable enough in your back up schemes that you will do this important task regularly. I create new Images whenever I change my system, and have restored my system from those Images many times when I screw something up or when a new app goes awry. I also back up all data much more regularly than my new Images. You have to use an app you like and feel comfortable with.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    IMHO, if you have a backup strategy that works for you, why would you change it?
    I share Ted's opinion on Windows Backup. I also use Acronis TI, but there are other apps, some even free, that are way much better than Windows 7 native backup. Seems that your current backup app doesn't support imaging. I think resorting to imaging is one of the options you should consider when implementing a backup strategy and a Lounge favorite is Macrium Reflect free: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    IMHO, if you have a backup strategy that works for you, why would you change it?
    Indeed! I should have a reason, shouldn't I

I currently use Cobain to control encrypted & unencrypted file backup. I've used Macrium Reflect Free for imaging reliably for years (including restoring entire images). Friends & family ask me how I've managed to never lose a digital file; can I set give them simple instructions for setting things up.

Windows Backup should provide that simple image + files backup plan; one I can recommend with confidence to friends & family. Especially with family photos & other mementos, their backup plan affects me as well.

Unfortunately, WB doesn't work.
    GG

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

I understand your reasons. Unfortunately Windows Backup is not that reliable and probably it's UI is not the smartest in the world. I am sorry it doesn't work for you.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GiacomoGo View Post
    Indeed! I should have a reason, shouldn't I

Unfortunately, WB doesn't work.
    Giacomo,
    Hello... "Windows Backup" does work in most cases (can't believe that I'm actually saying this) However it does not work as well (when working) when compared even to the Free (Macrium Reflect) It is both "clunky and an overall "clumsy" program to begin with.... The "experts" in this case are wrong...You can try and figure out what is going wrong with the "Windows Program" ( i would) just for the academic exercise.. Or just "chunk" it like many of the rest of us. If you wish to pursue this post back and many will try to help figure "Whats Up" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)