New Lounger
    Thanks

Email transfer (Win Easy Transfer) did not go well... any suggestions?

Hi all,

Before switching from WinXP to Win7 I ran Windows Easy Transfer (WET) in order to be able to recover different files, mails etc - amongst other my emails from Outlook Express. Now, with Win7 installed, I have double-clicked the WET.MIG file and the backup has been transferred back to the computer. However, I am unable to find any mails... I have tried searching for *dbx-files, tried different recovery programs but with no luck. Any ideas, suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

FBJ

Thanks
    fbj, welcome to the Lounge as a fairly new poster.

Many people have had problems with East Transfer. Did you install Win 7 directly over your XP installation? Did you find a folder in your root directory (C Drive) called windows.old? If so this folder holds your entire XP OS. You still might find the emails here. If so what mail client have you chosen to use with your Win 7 installation (Win 7 does not natively have an email client, you must choose and download one)? I use Windows Live Mail. You can set up WLM with your present email address(es) and perhaps import your mail from the windows.old folder.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted Myers

...and thanks for a very quick response. Unfortunately the XP was formatted with FAT32 which made it impossible to install Win7 on top of XP. Hence, I had to format the partition with XP (and clearly this is part of my problem). This also means that I could not keep the old installation in a Windows.old folder. I am now using WLM and all accounts and contacts are integrated - that part works fine. I actually exported the contacts to an external drive as a csv-file - not sure why I did not do the same with my mails, but I guess I trusted WET to much :-)

Thanks
    Can you import the csv file back into WLM, or perhaps this is what you have already done? I thought when you exported to a csv file it exported everything, contacts and saved emails. I did not have much luck with WET myself. Fortunately in my case my old OSes were all NTFS so the windows.old was available. I am unsure what else to try. I saved my "saved emails" to a file to allow them to be imported. I suspect your might be gone. Did you perhaps do any data backup that might have included your emails? I realize this is a long shot but it's all I have left at this point.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Again, thanks for some good suggestions. The csv export/import I did only for contacts - that is unfortunately possible :-) As for backup I only did the WET backup since MS say that the transfer includes mails. I think you are right - mails are probably gone. Not a catastrophe but I did keep some login-information mails, receipts for buying on-line etc. Not the end of the world but it would have been nice if I could recover the information... :-)

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Hi fbj,
    What type of account did you have where you saved your contacts ? i.e. hotmail.com, gmail etc.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

I do have a gmail account but that is/was not a problem since everything is available on the net. The problem with recovering mail-messages was from a personal domain account that was configured so that when OE received the mail from the account, the mail was deleted from the server (limitations on the server). Contacts were exported from OE as a csv file to an external harddisk. If only I had done the same with mail-messages...

Thanks
    fbj,
    I suggest getting a Windows Live ID, hotmail.com, import your contacts to it, sign in to WLM with it then try to add the account you use, (WLM is good at finding nearly all accounts) If successfull, you can delete the hotmail account.
    p.s. try adding your own account to WLM first to see if it works.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Roderunner,

I can say "done" to almost all of it - and WLM is running with all accounts up and working... Only problem is adding the account that used to live on my XP machine (I assume your suggestion is that adding the account would also find my old mail-messages). The old e-mail account is added to WLM by me manually typing in the necessary POP variables (in- and outgoing server, username, password etc.) - and I can use this e-mail account to send and receive. Problem is that the old mail-messages are still not available and I think that they are either gone (deleted during the win7 installation) or hiding somewhere in the Windows Easy Transfer file (the optimistic guess/hope).

Thanks
    RR, the OP problem is that he had did not save/export his old messages from OE. He already has set up his new mail in WLM successfully.

fbj, I also save emails with login/registration info. The registration info might be able to be secured by contacting the app support people, explaining your situation and get the info back that way. I use Last Pass password manager. Last Pass has a form fill section that allowed me to add all my registration info in a comments section so even if I loose my registration info in WLM I can get it back through Last Pass. Very nice. Take a look.

edit: This forum has a couple of things to try.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-08-14 at 12:55.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted Myers,

Thanks for those hints and advice for the future - surely something to consider. The forum you are pointing towards also looks interesting - there are a couple of file extensions that I have not looked for yet. I will off course report back how it develops... :-)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Based on the Easy Transfer FAQ I'd have to say it appears that the email messages should be in the transfer file as long as they were properly selected on XP.

Did you check the log on XP to see that all went well on the backup?

Did you use the file explorer in Easy Transfer to choose what files to restore?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted Myers @ I tried the advice from the other thread (good find) - looking for .eml, .pst. and .old, and the different imports mentioned - with no luck. The situation is not exactly the same and I guess that is/was my problem. In the end it turned out that my lack of knowledge about the Windows Easy Transfer almost got me... see next para :-)

JoeP515 @ I did not check the XP log after using the WET program. I am not a 100 % sure but I do not remember being presented to an option of looking. However, going through the 13.000 + files in the log from transferring back the backup to Win7, I did not see any mail-file types. I still have the WET.mig file and your mentioning of a file explorer was just what I needed. I cannot explain why the mail-messages was not transferred per default but I found them and all messages are now transferred and imported to WLM. Joe- You saved my day - and a bit more :-)

I am a bit excited right now and I wish to thank you all for spending valuable time and contributing to the solution to my problems - excellent job gentlemen... At spywarefri.dk I am used to be in the helping end of the conversation - it has been a pleasure to be in the receiving end :-)

Thanks
    I'm glad you found your email. This is one of those situations where not deleting until you have everything restored was a good thing. I'm also surprised the files did not transfer the first time. Weird, but then that's a PC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Glad you found the files. Thanks for posting back.

Joe