Lounger
    Thanks

Folders Disappear but they are Still There

When I got this computer (new with Windows 7 installed) I set up a folder for music files C:\Users\Bill\Music. I use a PC - Stereo Interface "Sonos" to play music through my home stereo system. Sonos was happy looking there and finding music.

After a run of MicroSoft patches and a Sonos update, the folder and its contents can't been seen by Sonos. I try all the refresh and update tools in Sonos, no joy.

If I open "computer" then "Local Disk (C and drill down to Users\Bill the folder "Music" isn't to be seen.

If I open a utility called "Total Commander" a file management tool, there sits C:\Users\Bill\Music with all its contents.

How do I make the folder "music" visible again to Windows and the other applications.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I'm wondering if somehow your Music folder is seen as a hidden system file. Search Box, type Folder Options. Check if Show hidden files, and uncheck Hide protected system files.

HiddenSystemFolders.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

WSG (2011-08-14)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did go to "Folder Options" there I found Under "Hidden Files and Folders" "Don't show hidden files, folders or drives" unchecked. "Show hidden files, folders and drives" checked. But still the folder won't show up in Windows 7.

I'll try resetting the variables, just in case.

I guess I should restart my computer, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I'm wondering if somehow your Music folder is seen as a hidden system file. Search Box, type Folder Options. Check if Show hidden files, and uncheck Hide protected system files.

HiddenSystemFolders.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Maybe try a chkdsk /f ?

Lounger
    Thanks
    It gets somewhat peculiar. I dug around some more. It turns out that Windows has renamed C:\Users\Bill\Music to C:\Users\Bill\My Music.

So the missing folder is there. Just had its name changed. I found I had to go into Sonos and delete the source
    C:\Users\Bill\Music and have it go look for the folder My Music.

Why Windows wanted to change the Folder name is beyond me.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Windows 7 has a My Music folder that is located by default at... C:\Users\Username\Music.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Windows 7 has a My Music folder that is located by default at... C:\Users\Username\Music.
    Be that as it may, I was using the address C:\User\Bill\Music (AS WAS NOTED IN MY ORIGINAL POST) for a good while now without problem.

For some reason which I can't fathom I now have to tell Sonos Software to stop looking there and now look at My Music.

A waste of an afternoon.