New Lounger
    Thanks

Bios boot priority setting

I have been experiencing problems with my Windows 7 installation recently. However all the remedies I have prepared in the past on CDs viz WindowsRrepair, System Images, boot filed etc against such a contingency have proved useless because I cannot get the Bios boot priority sequence to recognise booting from the CD as opposed, as normally, from the hard drive. I hasten to add that I have selected the F10 key to save the changed setting but although the cd drive light flickers momentarily there is no continuing activity in this drive, nor any screen promppt to select any key to confirm changed boot sequence..
    Any suggestions forrenedy this would be welcome.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    If the computer accesses the CD/DVD drive before the internal HD in the startup process then the BIOS setting is being honored. The activity you mention is typical when the computer detects that the media in the drive is not bootable. Are you sure the CD/DVD is bootable? Do you have a commercial Windows installation CD/DVD you can try?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,
    Specifically I have tried booting with two Windows Repair CDs as indicated, also the original Windows 7 installation CD which has been checked to ensure it is undamaged

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    How old is the PC? If the BIOS setting is not retained, perhaps you need to change the motherboard CMOS battery.

Joe

Thanks
    mzee80, Are you sure the CD/DVD drive is operational? Are you attempting to restore from your Image as a test of the Image or because you have a problem you are trying to recover from. If the former I would try to ascertain the CD/DVD drive is working properly while in Windows. If you insert the Win 7 installation disk, the Win 7 Setup window should pop up:

Win7Setup.jpg

If this does not display, perhaps the problem is with your CD/DVD drive. I would check on the possibility of downloading new drivers for the drive.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am entirely confident that both my CD drives are operative. Regarding the age of my desktop it coud be that on this count the cmos battery requires replacing although the computer shows no other signs of battery failures viz incorrect time, involuntary shut downs etc

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mzee80 View Post
    I cannot get the Bios boot priority sequence to recognise booting from the CD as opposed, as normally, from the hard drive. I hasten to add that I have selected the F10 key to save the changed setting but although the cd drive light flickers momentarily there is no continuing activity in this drive
    mzee,
    Hello.. A while back i had a problem with my CD\DVDRW's would not be recognized at boot time... It turned out that when i had installed a SATA controller card the CD\DVD drives would not be seen when booting ...The fix was to change the CD\DVD drives to a different mother board SATA position .. If i had them plugged into the SATA controller card the problem returned. Don't know if this is related to your situation. Also are you sure that your "keyboard drivers " and it's "F-10" operation are OK?
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)