Star Lounger
    Thanks

SeagatE Go Flex 2.0TB

I just got a new drive if you can believe it TWO TB for less that than ONE! Anyway, I am unable to format, delete the Seagate software or do anything with the drive. There is no delete command on the cotext menu, can't rename a file, edit the autorun. change attribute, nothing not even from an elevated command prompt.

I use Acronis and Macrium (one at home one at the office) so I do not want or need whatever software Seagate decided to pre-load on the drive for me as if they know what I should do with it. It isn't large, especially since it IS a terabyte but it just annoys me that I can't have the whole thing, and that I have to bypass the autorun or disable it altogether. Anyone have a clue for me?

TIA
    Joel

Thanks
    I have no idea why you can't reformat it. I had no trouble doing that with my 2TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk (USB2 interface) and I've just replaced that with the USB3 interface. Powering down after a period of inactivity doesn't work properly, there's no power switch, and the Memeo backup software is rubbish - but other than that it's fairly OK.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Batcher, I tried to format it from an elevated command prompt, (Format I and got nothing but a return to the C:\Windows or C:\windows\System, or just C:\. Do you, (or anyone!) have ANY idea what's up with this? I am stumped, right click menu has no Format, or Delete command on it, Explorer shows it as "L: Western DIgital CD Drive" any idea why THAT might be? I have been doing this or over 20 years now, and I cannot believe that there isn't some simple thing that I'm missing. Hard to imagine that nobody here has an idea either. I've been trolling here for a long time and have never failed to see a question answered by SOMEONE.
    Thanks all, really,
    Joel

Thanks
    What does Disk Manager say about the drive? Run DiskMgmt.msc in a Command Prompt window, or via Run...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    As BATcher points out, run DiskMgmt and select format from there.
    If you are still unable to effect a format, you ought to try and format it from one of a 3rd party partition tools' bootable disks.
    Sounds to me like something from within the running operating system is preventing you from effecting it during normal operation.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From elevated command prompt DiskMgmt says "CD-ROM 1 File system is "UDF" (never heard of it) and the Format command it greyed out. Which third party tool do you recommend? Something like GParted <sp> maybe? Not familiar with them but I (think anyway) that will make a boot disk. All of your help is very much appreciated. Thanks!
    Joel

Thanks
    Sound like you are looking at a cd or dvd drive, not your Seagate drives. As the title implies, UDF is a CD Rom format. See the Wikipedia entry for details.

Jerry

Thanks
    It almost sounds as though the Seagate is not seen. As a long shot, I might go into Device Manager and delete the USB controlers. When you reboot, Windows will reinstall them. This will elliminate the possibility the USB ports are corrupt. I saw this just recently in another thread.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Sounds like it has a partition in a proprietary format similar to the way that U3 software was installed in flash drives. Unfortunately the only way I found at the time to remove the partition was by using proprietary software from U3. Possibly Gparted may work or other software with advanced partition handling but I've no suggestions unfortunately.

Is it possible that the Seagate software is actually in the firmware of the drive and therefore not removable at all?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all, that IS a possibility,(that it's in the firmware like the U3 drives), but I don't think it could be the USB controllers because the drive before is properly seen as "My Passport" and 500GB. I am going to attempt gparted next and will report back when (if?) I resolve the issue because if there is no answer here among us, the solution should be made a part of the thread.

Thanks again,
    Joel