New Lounger
    Thanks

Trouble installing python

Hi windows lounge,
    I have just migrated from mac to windows platform.I was trying to install python msi file on my 64bit windows 7 system,whenever it tries to copy the file while installing :it says no administrative permission to the folder program data try logging in as Administrator or so.... I activated the hidden Administrator account and tried installing the stuff ,same thing happened again.I'm confused and it even makes me think y i changed to windows back again...Please help me solve the issue,i have even tried the Taking ownership script or batch file..no effect yet... Any solution????? what should i do to install Python 3.12 msi file in my windows 64bit operating system?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hello krishnansrinivasan,

Welcome to the Lounge,

To solve your problem, right click the msi file and then choose Run As Administrator from the popup menu.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bronze Lounger,
    I tried to run as administrator..it didn't work.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I just tried it, with version 3.2.1 and had no problems at all, doing it the way I described.

What happened when you ran the program as I suggested?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krishnansrinivasan View Post
    it says no administrative permission to the folder program data try logging in as Administrator
    krishnansrinivasan,
    Hello...Most times when i get a failed "install", i find that i need to take ownership of the folder that the program is trying to access.Sometimes its the "Temp" folder C:>Users>Your PC Name>App Data>Local>Temp. Other times the folder will be in "Program Data" ...Have a "Look See" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't access

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I just tried it, with version 3.2.1 and had no problems at all, doing it the way I described.

What happened when you ran the program as I suggested?

It installs like while copying the files in about 75% it stops and says no permission to folder program data(& the directory route to python)-----a popup window with retry or cancel. I was left with no option but to cancel.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Is the folder program files or program data?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    it's the program data folder..! No administrative access... even when i run as admin or even when i logged in hidden admin account.! take ownership didn't help too ..

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    it's the program data folder..! No administrative access... even when i run as admin or even when i logged in hidden admin account.! take ownership didn't help too ..
    krishnansrinivasan,
    Hello... How did you take "ownership" of the "Data" Folder? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Does "System" have "Full Control" on the Program Data folder?

Have you disabled UAC or any services related to UAC?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi joe,
    Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes i have disabled the UAC .I have full control to Program Data folder,but there are no special permission for it.I managed to install python,here's how i did it.I installed a registry file called Take ownership,then i started the python installer .When python installer said can't access program data folder,i right clicked on program data folder and said takeownership. After which i was able to install python... but still i don't have a special permission to program data folder. Thank you joe.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi joe,
    When python installer said can't access program data folder,i right clicked on program data folder and said takeownership. After which i was able to install python...
    "k",
    Hello... I have found that you have to "Take Ownership" of the exact folder in Program Data...(MSI etc.). Seems that a "generic" take ownership wont do... That why i ask you how you "Took Ownership". Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred :
    I happen to download a registry installer called "take ownership" .It helped me..i donno if it is generic or not... few of my friends suggested winbubble...i think the first installer made it possible.! the link :http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred :
    I happen to download a registry installer called "take ownership" .It helped me..i donno if it is generic or not... few of my friends suggested winbubble..
    "K"
    Hello...sorry for not being more precise ... When i stated "generic take ownership won't do" .. i meant to take ownership of the folder that resides within Program Data, the one that's causing the problem...Not try to take (generic) ownership of the whole Program Data folder...Also yes "Winbubble" is a good "tweaking tool" ..have used it for years... Regards Fred
    PlainFred