Thanks

Windows Secrets Columns Forum not sorted by last post

Whenever I open the Windows Secrets Columns forum, it comes up unsorted. I have to click on the Last Post By header twice to sort the entries so that the entry with the last post is at the top. The next time I come back to the Forum, they are unsorted again. This is the only forum that exhibits this behavior. The other forums open up sorted by last post by default.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Perhaps you have a corrupt Lounge cookie.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. Clearing out my cookies doesn't fix it for me. Also trie IE9, FF, and chrome and they all come up with this forum unsorted. Does it come up sorted for you when you open up this forum? You can tell because there is a black triangle next to the last post by header if its sorted, no triangle if its not sorted.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Comes sorted with the newest thread first.

Joe

Thanks
    Hmm. Strange. Did you click on the Last Post by header twice and verify that the second and third entries don't change? Is there a downward pointing black arrow next to the Last Post By header when you open the Windows Secrets Columns forum? I even tried it on an XP laptop and don't get the entries sorted by default.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    The default view for the WSC forum is to sort descending by thread start date. All the forums I tried revert to the default view when I leave a forum and return later.

Joe

Thanks
    For some reason that is not the case for me. I read a ton of forums and they all default to a last post date sort order except for the Windows Secret Columns forum. This is true using multiple browsers and os's. I don't recall ever having to set the sort order in any of the forums except this one. It doesn't seem to matter if I log off and relog on again either. I wonder if we have something set differently in our profile settings. I did find an item there related to sort order within an individual thread but not for sorting the thread listings. Sorting by post date is a nice way to see unread posts quickly.

Since it only affects the one forum for me, its just a minor inconvenience that I can live with. I do wish they would make the read/unread message icon color more dramatically different. My old eyes have to really strain to note the difference. I vaguely remember a post in this forum that they were going to fix that but it never happened.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2011-08-16 at 22:00.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'm sorry I did not explain myself well enough. All the fourms in the Lounge have a default view which includes a sort order on some column. Each time the TOC of any forum is accessed it appears that the default view is invoked. For the WSC forum it is sorted descending by thread start date. That is so the most recent Newletter columns appear first. I think most people are more likely to be looking for the most recent Newsletter column than the most recent post.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks for the more detailed explanation. I guess I really don't know what most people are looking for but I thought it was strange it was different than the other forums. As I said earlier, its a minor inconvenience for me and I can live with it.

Jerry