New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Connectivity Speeds not as Advertised

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 768 kb/s wireless internet connection from a local isp. The things is, when I download files, the reported download rate is about half that, maybe less. Is the ISP gypping me, or is there something I'm not understanding? Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Aguazales,

Your ISP only guarantees the speed of the link from their servers to your computer. They can not guarantee the speed of all the links between the download site and their servers. The internet is refereed to as the information highway and just like a highway there are sometimes traffic jams. Try some of the internet speed tests available at places like DLSReports.com and see what you get.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

aguazales (2011-08-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Thanks

Oh, alright. Thanks for the clarification RetiredGeek!

Thanks
    Here is a decent site for a speed check;http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ Just click on the nearest location to you.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is this the place where I can find settings that I should use for network connections? My ATT connection was very slow (about 4kb/sec, my old dial up speed) and with my High Speed DSL connection is supposed to be (I think) 386 kbs. I called ATT about the slow connection speed and after over three hours on the phone, they said the connection was fine on their end and the problem was in my computer. They then offered to sell me an annual subscription for $49.95 to fix the problem. I informed the person on the phone I would switch my ISP before I paid them fifty bucks to fix my connection. After I hung up, I messed around with the settings in the LAN network connection by clicking on the dual computer screen icon in the tray, then selecting properties, then in the local area connection properties window that opened, I selected configure for the LAN connection that is built into my MB. Then I clicked on Advanced and in the list that appears, I started changing setting one at a time until I got to the link speed/connection mode setting, which I changed from from 100 MBS to 10 MBS half duplex. This sped up my connection a lot and it seems to be faster than it has ever been, but I do not understand why I have to set my 100 MBS connection to 10 MBS to get a faster connection. Before I did this, I deleted the network connection and restarted the machine to see if it would rebuild the connection itself but nothing like that worked.

Thanks
    Try Tweaktest on this page:
    http://www.dslreports.com/tools

Jerry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Talltexan (2011-09-05)