New Lounger
    Thanks

W7 (64bit) - Office 2010 Crashes - Help please

Maybe someone has come across this issue and can help.
    I run a MacBook Pro with Bootcamp using Windows 7 & Office 2010
    Everything seems to work okay until i start to edit text boxes i.e. Excel or Powerpoint crashes as soon as i go to start editting.
    If i jump across to the Mac side and use the MS Office version there (latest 2011) it does not crash doing the same activity.

Any ideas why this might be the case?

Incase someone asks here are the downloads from the events viewer - as i'm not a whizz kid on these things i have no idea what it means other than there's a problem:

General
    Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 14.0.6024.1000, time stamp: 0x4d83e607
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17625, time stamp: 0x4de8781e
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000b9bc
    Faulting process id: 0x14e8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cc51a2cf493fa9
    Faulting application path: C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\EXCEL.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll

Details
    - System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Application Error
    - EventID 1000
    [ Qualifiers] 0
    Level 2
    Task 100
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2011-08-03T06:03:20.000000000Z
    EventRecordID 195625
    Channel Application
    Computer MacbookPro-PC
    Security
    - EventData
    EXCEL.EXE
    4d83e607
    KERNELBASE.dll
    4de8781e
    c0000005
    0000b9bc
    14e8
    01cc51a2cf493fa9
    C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\EXCEL.EXE
    C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    496db60b-bd96-11e0-b6c0-34159e90a383

Thanks
    Hi sjptain and welcome to the Lounge!

Exception code: 0xc0000005 errors can be caused by a number of things. It generally means an application has attempted to address an area of memory it is not entitled to, thus being a "memory access violation."

Faulty RAM sticks, corrupt or incorrect device drivers, poorly written software, or missing/corrupt software updates, and even anti-malware software can cause these errors. If your RAM sticks were the source of the problem, you would likely see crashes while using other software, and it would likely not be confined to Windows 7. However, to rule out RAM as a problem, you can download Memtest86+ iso and burn a bootable test CD to thoroughly test your RAM. A thorough test can take a few hours. You could also use the Repair Your Computer option on the Advanced Boot Options menu. This will start the System Recovery Options window, which includes a Windows Memory Diagnostic option. (You can access the Advanced Boot Options menu by repeatedly pressing the F8 key while your Windows system is booting.)

Do you have the 64 bit edition of Office 2010 installed, or the 32 bit edition? 64 bit edition is not really ready for prime time. If you run the 32 bit edition, Office should show installed in Program Files(x86) folder.

When did the crashes begin? Was it just after a Windows Update came through for Office 2010? Or did you install a new program or device driver just before the problem arose? If so, try removing the update, program, or updated driver to see if that cures the issue. Is your Office 2010 fully patched and updated with the latest MS updates (it is best to be fully patched unless an update causes problems)?

As to device drivers, Boot Camp installed Windows 7 device drivers when you installed Windows 7. It is best to stick with the Boot Camp supplied drivers while you maintain the dual boot system via Boot Camp. I have the same setup as do you, except mine is on an iMac, and I never manually updated my Windows 7 device drivers; I only accept driver updates offered through Boot Camp. I have been running this setup since November 2009 without any difficulties.

Try temporarily disabling your malware protection software and see if the Office crash continues to occur (you can disconnect from the Internet while testing).

If none of the above help, try running a repair of Office 2010. If no joy there, use an app like Revo Uninstaller Free Edition to uninstall Office and clean out all references to Office in the Registry. Then reinstall Office 2010 to see if the issue goes away.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-08-17 at 06:45. Reason: Boot Camp drivers update

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow - so many things to look at - Thank you for the response.

At the moment I am working away from home (It'll be about 7 weeks before i get back) and when i get home will try what you suggest with the de-install/re-install as i don't have my original disks with me.
    I also have an iMac set-up at home - well it appears slightly different as Bootcamp is running through "Parallels" (or is it the opposite).
    My laptop has been configured differently - Mac partition with Parallels, Bootcamp partition

In answer to your questions:
    1. Do you have the 64 bit edition of Office 2010 installed, or the 32 bit edition? - it looks like the 32 bit edition (installed in the x86 Directory).
    2. When did the crashes begin? Was it just after a Windows Update came through for Office 2010? Or did you install a new program or device driver just before the problem arose? - I honestly don't know, it has crashed for as long as i can remember, but do think it was after a windows update was automatically applied.
    3. Is your Office 2010 fully patched and updated with the latest MS updates (it is best to be fully patched unless an update causes problems)? - yes i have all the latest patches.
    4. If none of the above help, try running a repair of Office 2010. - I've already tried this without any success

I have a couple of questions back...
    1. Try temporarily disabling your malware protection software - help me here, please are you talking about shutting down McAfee temporarily to see if this changes the problem?
    2. However, to rule out RAM as a problem, you can download Memtest86+ iso and burn a bootable test CD to thoroughly test your RAM - I assume this will make a bootable CD and not affect me working away as normal as it does its work?

Apologies, if these sound like dumb questions, but i tend not to screw around with PCs/Laptops as i don't know enough about their workings.
    I would say that on average i have "one/two blue screens of death" each week on the windows side - recently i've been getting black screen when going to certain programs (Safari and Windows Msgr being the two main ones) and having to force shutdown. These instances are not appearing to be related to the problem i'm asking about, but something is not right somewhere - and i'm not computer savvy to fix it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sjptain View Post
    Wow - so many things to look at - Thank you for the response.

I have a couple of questions back...
    1. Try temporarily disabling your malware protection software - help me here, please are you talking about shutting down McAfee temporarily to see if this changes the problem?
    2. However, to rule out RAM as a problem, you can download Memtest86+ iso and burn a bootable test CD to thoroughly test your RAM - I assume this will make a bootable CD and not affect me working away as normal as it does its work?

Apologies, if these sound like dumb questions, but i tend not to screw around with PCs/Laptops as i don't know enough about their workings.
    I would say that on average i have "one/two blue screens of death" each week on the windows side - recently i've been getting black screen when going to certain programs (Safari and Windows Msgr being the two main ones) and having to force shutdown. These instances are not appearing to be related to the problem i'm asking about, but something is not right somewhere - and i'm not computer savvy to fix it.
    First, there is no such animal as a dumb question. There are only asked and unasked questions, so asking questions is definitely better.

As to shutting down McAfee temporarily to see if it impacts the problem, the answer is yes. Anti-malware software and suites can potentially precipitate the error you are experiencing. You will be safe if you disconnect from the Internet before turning McAfee off. It may not make any difference, and if it does not, at least that has been eliminated as a possibility.

When booting to the Memtest86+ bootable CD, you will not have access to either your Windows or Mac partitions. It is advisable to run the test at night or when you are not normally using the system. Let the test run for several hours or overnight, and check for any errors reported. Sometimes, errors begin to be flagged almost immediately, but there are times when it takes longer.

The fact that your are getting black screens when using Safari as well as BSODs in Windows 7 could very well mean you have some memory problems. A Windows 7 driver issue would not affect Mac's Safari browser, but a faulty stick of RAM could affect both.

As to determining the cause of the Windows BSODs, download and install BlueScreenView here. Make sure you have a small minidump configured in Windows. To do so, Open Control Panel, click System And Security, click System, and then click Advanced System Settings. Another way to get there is go to the Start Menu search box and type in systempropertiesadvanced and press Enter. On the Advanced tab of the System Properties dialog box, click Settings under Startup And Recovery. Remove the check mark in the Automatically restart box under System Failure. This will allow the BSOD to stay up when it occurs rather than just flashing by you in a blur. Next, under Write debugging information, click the drop down list and select small memory dump. The dump file defaults to the %SystemRoot% folder (which is normally C:\Windows \System32, under the file name of Memory.dmp or Minidump.dmp.

When you open BlueScreenView, it will find the minidump file and load it for viewing. Many times it will identify the source that caused the BSOD. You can take a screenshot of the BlueScreenView window as a .jpeg file and upload it to a new post in this thread, or copy the information the program provides as to the likely culprit and paste it into a new post here.

New Lounger
    Thanks

how to print screen

how do i do the print screen using the MACBook keyboard to display the BSOD info?

Thanks
    I'm wondering if BlueScreen Viewer from Nirsoft would work for you. I do not have a clue if it will work in your environment. NirSoft is a well known very highly regarded utility developer.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    it appears to as it brought up the last BSOD info...

Thanks
    I hope the info provided helps with your solution. Perhaps if you could post a screenshot someone would be able to interpret for you. Since Prt Sc is evidently unavailable on a Mac, perhaps a 3rd party app could help, or even the built in Snipping Tool in Win 7 (just type snip in the search box). This thread mentions several such possibilities.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Here goes, hopefully i've selected the correct thing.
    Capture.JPG

Thanks
    I have also intermittently seen this same BSOD. I am working on this, but as yet do not have an answer. I will post in my original thread if I do find what is causing this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thx Ted - i think this is part of a larger issue as i get "Black Screen of Death" on my Mac side of the computer - it can happen 4/5 times per day - usually if i try to run videos. I had a local IT guy look at it and he says it's not a RAM issue but it crashed twice in 5 mins after getting it back from him. Looks like i'll need to send into Apple for a service/fix the issue...

Thanks
    I'm wondering if it indeed is a heat issue, as has been suggested in the other thread to me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted