Lounger
    Thanks

Forensic Data Recovery

Does anyone know what equipment/software/know - how etc. is necessary to set up your own "forensic" data recovery.
    I used the word "forensic" because it seemed that only in court cases or the Feds have the know-how to extract data from inaccessible HHD.
    I'm still in limbo not being able to access my two HDD's. which were originally set up as RAID in my desktop. I have tried via USB and adapter cables to
    get my data off to my laptop to no avail. Since I only could hook up one HDD at the time, I had to change the drive letters in order to see them in "My Computer" on my laptop. Now, it ask me to Format them. Well that means my data is gone for good.
    Some data recovery agencies want $1200.- min. to attempt recovery. Maybe some of you have knowledge of what is required and the cost for such a set-up.

Thanks,

Ront

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It rather depends on what the failure mode was and what damage has been done to the data set since the failure.

If a hard drive motherboard failed, you would be looking at recovering data from the drive platters themselves. That type of business requires a significant capital investment, involving clean-room, trained staff and high end handling equipment. The costs you have been quoted may be for that service and if so they are not unreasonable.

If you just have a corrupt RAID (by implication you were running a RAID0?) and the motherboards are functional and there has been no data manipulation on the drives since the failure, you might get away with something like RAID Reconstructor. There are others available for similar costs. In any case, you need to be fairly sure of the situation because you could end up doing more damage and forcing yourself down the high end route.

N.B. I have come across attempts to fit an identical hard drive motherboard onto a failed drive to spin up the platters and read that data off. I have in fact tried this method a couple of times just to see if it was viable. In both cases it was not.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your comments and tip.
    My original problem was explained in WS, May 2011 under the Vista heading as " How to recover from "safe mode" problems in Vista".
    No problems with the motherboard, just could not reboot after I shut the power down during a "Safe Mode" booting. The OS did not find Windows Vista again.
    I purchased USB adapter and and cables to hook up the HDD to my laptop, but did not show up in " My Computer" because it was also a "C" drive.
    I changed drive letters to "G" and "H" on the second drive which all were recognized in "My Computer" but now found as new drives and was ask to Format.
    Little did I know about my RAID set-up which required me to hook up all two drives at once in order to access my data for which I had no hook-up hardware.
    If I reconnect my drives to my desktop in order to use your recommended RAID Reconstructor; it'll not work there because the Vista OS does not boot up.
    That's my problem.

PS, Maybe someone can test this case: Boot in SAFE MODE and then during booting push the OFF Button on the computer.
    In my case the OS did not find Windows again when the power was turned on again.

Thanks, and I welcome any suggestion to my problem.

Ront

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Ahh...thanks for the clarification.

If you were running a RAID and shut the power off without going through a shutdown process, you may have destroyed the RAID data array - depending on what it was doing at the time and what type of RAID you were running. This could happen in normal mode or safe mode and is one of the biggest reasons why a UPS is used on systems running RAID arrays.

The reason why your laptop wants to format them is because it knows nothing about RAID: it is expecting a simple NTFS volume, but doesn't see one so it wants to format the disk.

You might still try the RAID Reconstructor software running on your laptop - I think that particular one is free to evaluate if it will work, then you pay to activate the recovery part of the application. If it can read the disks it might recognise the array.

It still depends on what type of RAID you were running, whether you were running software or hardware RAID and what damage has been done to the data structures. If it does not recognise the array, and other RAID recovery software similarly fails, then I'm afraid you are into the realms of 4-figure RAID recovery services.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, I'll try anything before the $$$$ recovery. Can I hook up one drive at the time to my laptop or must they be hooked up in tandem ?

Thanks,

Ront