Lounger
    Thanks

Consolidate 2 drive WIN7 installation to 1 drive?

I have a computer with 2 HDs running WIN7 Pro 32 bit. C drive has the OS and most of the program files, and is listed Boot, Active, Crash Dump in the partition management program. F drive has the user information, and is System, Page File, Active. There are certainly reasons to do it this way.

However, some older programs expect that the user data will be on the same drive as the OS and program files. I have had to manually create a bogus user profile on the C drive to get them working. Not hard, or often, but annoying. Is there an easy way to consolidate to one drive, with the second not in any way part of the system files? There are a couple of migration facilities, Laplink and Acronis, which should do this, but is there an easier, and safer way?

Treg

Thanks
    Make an Image back up before doing anything else, Acronis is a good app for this. Are there any data files on the D Drive? If so they must be moved back to their original positions first using the right click, properties, Location tab. Once all data is off the D Drive, it can be deleted in Win 7 by using Disk Management (type disk management in the search box, then choose Create and Format HD). When you see the 2 partitions (make sure you DO NOT choose the OS partition) right click on the D Drive and choose delete. This will leave unallocated space in it's place. The C Drive can now be extended (right click and choose Extend) to absorb the unallocated space.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    You can be very certain that I will do a backup with Acronis. It has bailed me out many times over the years. Thanks for the tip about the location tab. That is what I needed.

Treg

Thanks
    The pagefile can easily be moved back to the primary.
    We will need you to define "user information" in greater detail.
    (if they are indeed the type of folders Ted points out, they can also be easily moved back to their original locations)
    How did you get that "user information" to the secondary drive originally?

Thanks
    Just be careful there is nothing in the registry looking for data on the d drive. To verify, do a search for d:\ using the regedit find function.

Jerry