New Lounger
    Thanks

Live mail crashes: after error report, it closes

This started in Outlook Express when change from one ISP to another (from Bredbandsbolaget > Telia in Sweden).
    I got an excellent idea to fix it, change to Windows Live Mail. But here it's exactly the same.
    Rigth after start of WLM (the same in OE before) it has to shut down. An "offer" to send Error report is shown.
    It will be the same result if I click on the X or Yes or No in the Error report, WLM closes directly.
    But I also figured out that WLM is working like a charm...
    Yes ! If I "grab" the error report window & move it "out of sigth" I can write/send/receive emails like normal.
    But if I click on any of the 3 choices in the error report window it just close WLM.

I have already tried some old threads found in other forums (for WLM 2009?) with uninstalling WLM like normal,
    delete some Registry keys for WLM, Delete all mails & accounts that where still present in Outlook Express
    (otherwise they would have been imported by aut to WLM it says...???).
    After reststart of PC I install WLM again but it's still the same.
    Any ideas how to fix this?
    Move to Mozilla Thunderbird or something else?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!!

Can you give any more details about the error?

If you are able to access the email account via a browser, is there anything unusual about one of the email messages?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Only error report/closing is the problem.

Thanks for a quick reply.
    Well, not much to say. The account works from Webmail as usual & nothing unusual there other than that this account is brand new & it was empty.
    That confused me first when I tried with error report move away & no incoming mail att all.
    Then I tried both from another "working PC" & from "the not working PC" & both succed sending the mails. I also could retreive the mails to the "not working PC" after I moved away the error reporting window. I also added my hotmail account to WLM & that also worked.
    One more "strange behaviour": after the PC is up & running I start WLM & get a message saying that it cannot connect to the server for mail. It's like WLM is starting in the back ground & "knows already" it can't find the server. 1-2 sec after that the error reporting window shows up...
    It looks like the PC is really slow in picking up Internet connection.
    I also get a message saying it can't show the message in the reading pane because of missing Internet connection.

Have not tried if it occurs in Safe mode.
    I
    Some tech info:
    Version 2009 (14.0.8117.416) (is 2011 not working on XP? I was 100% sure it was 2011 I downloaded & installed???)
    Windows XP SP3 fully updated.
    Never found any scumware/virus or likely on this PC (it's my mothers...)

And thanks for any help/ideas at all...

Thanks
    It could be because you removed registry keys that were dependant on other functions.
    I would remove all WLM with http://portableapps.com/apps/utiliti...aller_portable then run a system file check before re installing it.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    WLM 2011 is not available for XP. The Windows Live Essentials installer will detect the OS and install the version appropriate for that OS.

Don't you have the opportunity to view more details if you choose to report the error?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517:
    I can view the whole report (to me it's garbage :-)) but not rigth now. I'm at work. I hope I can do it in 2-6 hours from now...

Roderunner:
    I'll try that too. Hopefully tonigth after work 2-6 hours from now.
    Thanks to both for your ideas...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Error info -sort of...

Not much to copy. Only from the first error windows it's possible to copy this:
    AppName: wlmail.exe AppVer: 14.0.8117.416 AppStamp:4bc9368e
    ModName: msshsq.dll ModVer: 7.0.6001.16503 ModStamp:483b99a6
    fDebug: 0 Offset: 00005bc9

Then there is a second windows with a lot of more info but it's not possible to copy the text from it....

One even more strange thing during my tries to copy text from errror report:
    Outlook express showed up asking for Compressing files to save space...
    Outlook Express contains zero mesages & no account is there - but still "active" in some sort of way...
    Strange...
    Last edited by sysk167; 2011-08-18 at 15:45.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried uninstall everthing with Live via Revo Uninstaller, SFC /Sannow & installed again after a reboot. I used the hardest way in Revo with deleteing all suggested Reg keys (the high ligthed in bold text). After a reboot I started SFC / scannow & here comes some odd stuff!
    After about 5-10% in SFC it wanted me to put a CD for "Windows XP Professional Server. This PC is a Siemens "Home PC" with XP Home...
    I tried first a "home made" Siemens OEM XP Home SP3 - Nope, a "normal XP home SP3" (home made) - Nope, a Dell OEM XP Professional SP 2 - YES! It worked! (All theese home made CD's has been working several times before at other PC's...)
    I could see/hear that SFC was using the CD several times. After a reboot I reinstall WLM & it looks better than before.
    I just started WLM & "quick" window showed up saying it was importing accounts & settings. No chance to stop it... I could see that it was from Outlook Express...
    After about 10 sec a new window where it already had the account to Telia with the rigth user name filled in & asking for the password. I typed the password & checked the "remember this password". WLM showed up & after a couple of sec I could see new test mails I have sended before. I also send some test mails to my other PC & it was OK.
    Closed WLM & started it agian & send & recieive was OK.
    After a restart of PC I started WLM again and there was the error report again...
    It loooks better at first but...
    More ideas? This is driving me crazy. Really a weird problem.
    Last edited by sysk167; 2011-08-19 at 03:06.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If your A/V solution scans email try disabling that feature.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Microsoft Security Essentissials as A/V & can't disabling that just for email scan. But I tried with disabling Real time protection.
    Nope - still the same strange error report....

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @sysk167 - I had this problem (or very similar) with WLM on XP about 3 years ago. If you have access to a news server like Giganews, you might be able to find the discussion in the WLM Newsgroup, my WLM problems coincided with some problems I was having with WDS 3.0.

I never found a satisfactory solution, eventually blamed unidentified malware and rebuilt the system on a new disk. The WLM problems were gone, but I didn't install WDS3.0 because IMO it was useless - so the problem may have been malware or it may have been WDS 3.0.

BTW - soon after I converted to Office Outlook, WLM had too many annoyances and performance issues. Converting from WLM to OL was dead simple, I access several POP, Hotmail & IMAP accounts and I now have almost 6000 items, and I've never archived. OL is perfect for me, now using OL 2010 on Win7. OL has all the functionality I need and its as reliable as ELM was on Unix in the 1980's - perfect, for me at least

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried uninstall WDS & that didn't help, but I will add continue with uninstall WLM, run SFC & regcleaning & instal WLMl again to see if that helps.
    BUT!
    This morning when I started the struggling machine a new error message showed up. It's in swedish but I try transalte at the best:
    Outlook Express could not open the folder for Outlook Epress messages. There is not enough free memory or the hard disk may be full. Contact Microsoft for more help (0x80040154, 14007)
    This is some thing I suspected sence I moved from OE to WLM. OE is still running & that is causing the other error message...
    I'll be back with results...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Solved - kind of...

Moved to Thunderbird & that works...
    Could not find any other solution for repair WLM/OE so this was the only thing I could do...

Thanks
    I suspect that you had some corrupted outlook express .dbx files. There are several commercial programs that claim to repair dbx files (Do a Google search) but you are happy with Thunderbird, its not worth the effeort unless you want to retrieve some old emails. If you still want to try live mail, try renaming your docx files so it doesn't try to import from them.

Jerry