Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Magic Jack issues

I decided to try Magic Jack out on my desktop computer. Apart from occasional minor issues, it's been great for over a year now. I cancelled our landline and decided to get my wife her own MagicJack, for use with her Dell laptop. Unfortunately, her experience has been nothing but pure frustration. It takes FAR too long to connect when dialing out OR receiving. I've tried every possible solution in terms of laptop location (with no improvement), and I tested her Magic Jack on my computer - it works fine on mine. I can only conclude that her laptop's 2GB of RAM is insufficient. My desktop unit has 4 GB of RAM. Both computers are running Win7. Before I see about a possible upgrade to her RAM, is there something else I should try?

DC

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dconn View Post
    I can only conclude that her laptop's 2GB of RAM is insufficient. My desktop unit has 4 GB of RAM. Both computers are running Win7. Before I see about a possible upgrade to her RAM, is there something else I should try?

DC
    DC,
    Hello...and welcome to W.S. Lounge...My question is how are you (Both) connected to the Internet? Same modem type, same browsers, etc. I know that laptops have a smaller HD thus are slower than their big brother desktops ... but it shouldn't make a huge difference. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hello dconn, and welcome to the Lounge!

I have never used MagicJack, but I have a couple of questions. Is your desktop connected to your router/modem via Ethernet cable? and is your wife's laptop connected via WiFi? If so, that may possibly explain the differences in performance, particularly if you are using a Wireless 'G' router rather than the newer, faster 'N'. Try connecting her laptop via Ethernet cable to see if things run better for her.

You can check the specs on MagicJack, but I bet 2 GB RAM is fine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    DC,
    Hello...and welcome to W.S. Lounge...My question is how are you (Both) connected to the Internet? Same modem type, same browsers, etc. I know that laptops have a smaller HD thus are slower than their big brother desktops ... but it shouldn't make a huge difference. Regards Fred
    Hi Fred,

Actually, my wife's laptop HD is bigger than my desktop system... but I don't think it should matter anyway, since Magic Jack isn't installed on a HD.

Cheers backatcha!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye81 View Post
    Hello dconn, and welcome to the Lounge!

I have never used MagicJack, but I have a couple of questions. Is your desktop connected to your router/modem via Ethernet cable? and is your wife's laptop connected via WiFi? If so, that may possibly explain the differences in performance, particularly if you are using a Wireless 'G' router rather than the newer, faster 'N'. Try connecting her laptop via Ethernet cable to see if things run better for her.

You can check the specs on MagicJack, but I bet 2 GB RAM is fine.
    Well, the router is N type. My techno-geek son tells me the router isn't the issue, and he doesn't think it's the RAM either. I would think 2 GB is sufficient, but... ? I'll try plugging the ethernet cable directly (I don't know why I didn't think of that before), and we'll see what happens...

Thanks,

DC

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dconn View Post
    Hi Fred,

Actually, my wife's laptop HD is bigger than my desktop system...
    DC,
    Hello... Was talking about physical size ( not capacity) 2.5 Inch Laptop vs 3.5 inch for desktop. The 2.5 "incher's " usually are spinning at 5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM for the desktops... Thus slower... some of the laptop's have 7200 RPM's HD, Don't know yours . Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    DC,
    Hello... Was talking about physical size ( not capacity) [SNIP] Regards Fred
    Ah, yes... I see said the blind man.

Thanks
    My Vaio laptop does spin at 7200 rpm. I have also not used MagicJack. I would suspect, as Gerald states, the ethernet cable is just faster than wireless mode, especially on an older router.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I also use MagicJack.
    It works fine on my desktop and laptop.

I'm attaching a PDF file here that I once got on the MagicJack website that may solve your problem.

I know it's mostly about Audio quality but the setting changes it reccomends may help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Banyarola; 2011-08-19 at 06:27.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I would suspect, as Gerald states, the ethernet cable is just faster than wireless mode, especially on an older router.
    I'm hoping that's what it is, since it's the simplest solution. I guess we'll find out this weekend when I get a chance.

DC

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    I also use MagicJack.
    It works fine on my desktop and laptop.

I'm attaching a PDF file here that I once got on the MagicJack website that may solve your problem.

I know it's mostly about Audio quality but the setting changes it reccomends may help.
    Hi,

Well, I've been down that road; tried every Magic Jack customer service reccomendation and add-on file, upgrade, reinstall, etc. Got rid of all of it and just started from scratch. MJ customer service tries to help, but they're like most customer service call lines: an exercise in frustration for all involved.

Thanks anyway,

DC

Thanks
    I'll connect it to my wireless laptop today and see what happens.
    Stay tuned...

Thanks
    I didnb't get a chance to try it yesterday but I will today, 8/20, for sure...

Thanks
    I connected today using my laptop on wireless and it works fine...

Lounger
    Thanks
    I looked into various VoIP solutions and went with voip.ms for the service and a Snom 370 for a real VoIP phone. I don't like to be made to keep my computer on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast