New Lounger
    Thanks

After XPSP3 Repair 8/12/11 and 100+ updates keyboard/mouse freeze no power

Here is the second email to MS support for this issue. My fear is that MS support does not understand the problem. If I need to clarify, please let me know.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks to all for your help.

EMAIL TO MS SUPPORT 8/18/11
    MS UPDATE IS THE ISSUE Steps I have taken to fix my system. Running XP SP3

1. I have run windows repair #1 on 8/12/11.

2. Update Operating System : After approx. 100 + updates, the PC reboots to the user screen. After reboot at the user screen the keyboard and mouse have NO POWER. I cannot access the operating system. Safe mode has identical results. Safe mode does not work. Restore points cannot be accessed and are useless.

3. Run windows repair again #2 on 8/14/11.

4. I am now at windows repair #2 above but my system repair date for XP SP3 is Jan, 2009. MS Updates is again offering 100+ updates as in #2.

5. I do not want to repeat MS Updates unless you have a solution to #2 above.

The mouse and keyboard are currently working perfectly. I have also tested a backup mouse and keyboard which also work perfectly.

Please respond to the following in red:

The issue is MS Updates. MS update is causing the power loss to the mouse and keyboard.
    Previously I asked you if I should turn off Norton Antivirus prior to updates.

What instructions do you have for installing updates?

Should I turn off Norton Antivirus prior to updates?

Are there updates I should NOT install?

If this email is not clear, please discuss with your supervisor.

Thank you for your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

First, if your system is in good working order make an image backup of the system. That way you can always return to a know good point in time fairly quickly.

Are the mouse & keyboard USB wired or wireless? Do you have the most current mouse & keyboard drivers?

It may be beneficial to turn off your A/V. I'd recommend you install a few updates at a time after reviewing what the updates are intended to fix. After each group of changes is installed and tested you may wish to create another image backup.

Since each PC setup is fairly unique and you have not specified the changes being offered, there is no basis in particular to tell you what changes to not install.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

cyclingcpa (2011-08-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe
    First, if your system is in good working order make an image backup of the system. That way you can always return to a know good point in time fairly quickly.
    Good thought....what do you recommend for image software? Dell tech suggests Acronis True Image Home

Are the mouse & keyboard USB wired or wireless? Do you have the most current mouse & keyboard drivers?
    MX 1000 laser wireless mouse and std Dell issue wired keyboard. All drivers are up to date. I have also tested the Dell issue wired mouse and all this equipment works perfectly. When MS updates and reboots to the user screen is when both mouse and keyboard have no power.

It may be beneficial to turn off your A/V. I'd recommend you install a few updates at a time after reviewing what the updates are intended to fix. After each group of changes is installed and tested you may wish to create another image backup.
    Ok on turning off AV. And good suggestion on incremental updates. See below.

Since each PC setup is fairly unique and you have not specified the changes being offered, there is no basis in particular to tell you what changes to not install.
    The changes being offered at over 100 to get system updated from Jan, 2009 to date and trying to figure out which are causing a problem will likely put me in update purgatory. But I may have no choice and will look at doing a block of 10 to work through the 100 or so updates.

Thanks and I will post results.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Many people in the Lounge use Acronis TIH and like it very much. You can see many threads about backup software in the "Security and Backup" forum. Don't be shy about posting any questions there.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe:

Thanks for your suggestions.

I had a big project going so that accounts for the delay in response. I limped along with the Jan, 2009 system and Sept 15 updated for MS from Jan, 2009 to date.

My quest for an updated system might help other forum members.

I followed your advice and worked with Microsoft "Gordon." Gordon advised me to send him the "SysInfo.nfo" file which he reviewed and advised me to update all drivers. I updated all drivers with the help of Nick at Dell. Gordon reviewed the "SysInfo.nfo" and was satisfied with the updates. Here is what happened at the time of MS updates:
    With Norton off:
    95 updates were installed/ restart
    1 update was installed/ restart
    3 updates were installed/restart

99 updates in total.

System looks updated to today 9/13/11 although I did not go back and check all updates.

The only update not included are the updates on hold based on Windows Newsletter's Susan Bradley hold/wait list.

End email to Gordon.

I could not figure out how to download a batch of 30 updates at a time so I held my nose and fell to the mercy of MS updates.

In any event, everything is back to normal.

But....Imaging software is still on my list.

I down loaded Acronis True Image Home for 2011 and then updated to 2012 but the installation or better the "non installation" was a mess. There were many attempts at download. ATIH for 2011 worked until I tried to update to 2012. ATIH 2012 would not and never will likely update. See below email to Acronis managers@acronis.com . I also signed up for Acronis On Line back up.
    Olga:
    FYI: With the 2012 download Acronis was a disaster.

The last chat session ( at least one hour ) did not download 2012. Also the session froze my mouse and required a 9 hour verify and repair of my RAID MIRROR.

Six hours of wasted time.
    end email
    I requested a refund for ATIH 2012 and Acronis On line back that did not work either.

So I am still on the hunt for imaging software and posted this to Norton Forum:

Norton Ghost
    09-17-2011 07:14 AM
    I am running the following backup programs:
    Mozy Pro
    Maxtor external drive
    Norton 360 2 files only backup .psst and archive .psst
    Can I also run Ghost 15.0?
    I just went through the ringer trying to install Acronis True Image Home 2012 and On Line Backup After 9 + hours of bad downloads I gave up. The online back up would never start and the download never finished, would stall out at the very end of download and I would need Acronis clean up tool to fix.
    Acronis told me finally that multiple backup programs are not compatible. To little to late.
    I tried Norton On line backup as part of Norton 360 finally gave up as backup never seemed to complete. Frustrating.
    I like the idea of an image but so far this quest has been a bust.
    My thoughts are you can never have enough backup options but seems like imaging and other programs don't work together.

End Norton Post

Any thoughts on Norton Ghost and the conflicts among backup software as per above?

I will post the Norton Post under Imaging Software - Norton Ghost and see what folks have to say. I have an ftp site and it appears I can load an image of my system to the ftp site. It looks like Norton will perform a complete image and also give the chance to to restore individual files and folders.

Thanks so much for your input.

Thanks
    Oh, you're not going to like this!

I'm a computer tech, 68 years old but still working after 31 years.
    The most commonly used program that I carry with me on every call, is the Norton Removal Tool.
    I won't go on and on about what a perfectly worthless program that is, but just suffice it to say
    that I remove it wherever I encounter it.

Ghost is put out by Symantec, the company that bought out Norton, so the name Norton still is
    attached to some of their software like Ghost. Peter Norton never had anything to do with Ghost.

When Ghost was originally written by a company in New Zealand, it was a GREAT program, but
    after Symantec bought it and began fiddlin' with it, not so much. I've been using DOS Ghost
    since 1997.

I still use the old DOS versions of Ghost, currently Ghost 11.5 which will back up and restore any version of
    Windows including Win-7, 64.
    It does need to be run from a DOS boot disk, totally bypassing Windows and any of its associated
    software. I would NEVER, EVER, run any backup program from Within Windows. Always use a DOS
    boot disk to run Backup software. It's then just dealing with ones and zeros on the HD and not open
    programs that are in memory.

I have used Acronis True Image, also run from a Boot CD and it does work good.
    Once installed on the HD, it can be run and used to make the Recovery CD. Then it can be deleted
    off of the HD, to cut down on file bloat on the HD.

The new versions of Ghost that only run in Windows, totally S***!

Sorry for all the bad news!

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

cyclingcpa (2011-09-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    DrWho:

Thanks for the input. I want to like all imaging software but this seems to be a one sided effort. Any input on Ghost 15?

I just purchased so I am probably not in a good place.