Star Lounger
    Thanks

Active Desktop/Quick Launch toolbar

At work we have just been "upgraded" to Outlook, which involved lots of contractors running around, and every PC in the place being wiped and reinstalled.

In the course of this, we also moved to Internet Explorer 5.0 (from 4), and I lost my Quick Launch toolbar and my Active Desktop. I now have no facility for getting the toolbar back (ie if I right click on the taskbar there is no menu item for Toolbars, which there used to be), and I've lost my Favorites in Windows Explorer, which was a fabulous productivity tool.

Any of you sauve, incredibly knowledgable and fabulously sexy people out there have any ideas on how I can get them back. The information I have so far tells me that I can't without uninstalling IE5 (which I can't because it was a standard setup by the IT department, and uninstall crashes) and then installing IE4, then going back again. Ugh!

Any ideas?

Jon

ileacy

Re: Active Desktop/Quick Launch toolbar

Are you using W95 or W98?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

W95

Lounger
    Thanks

You've lost it. The contractors have either installed IE5 directly or installed IE4 without installing the Active Desktop. If they used the Internet Explorer Admin Kit to install IE5 then there is apparently an option to install the active desktop. But I wouldn't hold your breath.

If you really want it, nag the contractors or your boss to uninstall IE5, reinstall IE4 with the active desktop enabled then re-install IE5. Sadly this doesn't always work.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had a nasty feeling that might be the case. Thanks for your help