New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Slow access to OFFICE 2010 folders when I want to save a file (WINXP)

I have a problem on my present computer which I am trying to trouble shoot. When I have completed a document and wish to save the file, I store the document in a folder named letters in "My documents". It takes a long time for Word to switch to this folder and then a very long time (30-45 seconds) for the old files to populate the folder (which must be done before a file can be saved).
    I tried to fix this behavior by creating a new normal.dot file by renaming the old file. This behaviour is unique to this computer. My other workhorse computers running either 2007 or 2010 allow me to save a file in less than a second.

The history of Office on this computer could be an issue. I had previously run Office 2007 on the computer and then did the install of 2010. There were problems with the 2010 install but eventually all was well and fully functional...except for the long delays that is the process for saving Word files. I have no problem with saving files in other programs (Photoshop), text files etc. on the computer. Thus, I don't think it is a Windows problem...I think it is a Word problem. My Excel files save faster than Word files but are generally slower than a save in these other programs.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Frank
    Last edited by fran403; 2011-08-18 at 18:46.

Thanks
    When you say normal.dot, do you mean a normal.dotm?

In very old versions of Word, there could be problems when the destination folder contained a shortcut to a network location. If you have any such shortcuts in your Letters folder, try moving them somewhere else.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I meant the normal.dotm file. I don't believe that there is a shortcut to a network location. Would a shared folder (my documents) do the same thing?

I had no problems when I was using the original Office 2007 installation...same folders...same setup.

Thanks
    You might want to try disabling Word add-ins, particularly any related to virus scanning.

How many documents are in your Letters folder? Does it contain any non-Word files (e.g., HTML, MSG).

If you create a new Letters2 folder at the same level as Letters, does that one operate quickly? If you copy 50 "new" Word documents (DOCX format) into it, does that affect performance substantially? How about old Word documents (DOC format)?