Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not enough memory to load specified image

I downloaded Slackware 13.37 on a DVD (32-bit version). The MD5 check is fine.

I am trying to install on an 11-year-old computer. It has a Pentium III 1100 MHz, 1.5 GB of memory, the motherboard is a Tyan Trinity 400 (S1854).

Upon booting up with the install DVD, it reaches the point where it says "Loading initrd.img" and then I get the following error message: Not enough memory to load specified image.

I have tried using two kernels: hugesmp.s and huge.s. Same error message!

Am I out of luck? Is my computer too old for Slackware? (No problems running Ubuntu 11.04 or Windows 7...)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tb75252 View Post
    I downloaded Slackware 13.37 on a DVD (32-bit version). The MD5 check is fine.

I am trying to install on an 11-year-old computer. It has a Pentium III 1100 MHz, 1.5 GB of memory, the motherboard is a Tyan Trinity 400 (S1854).

Upon booting up with the install DVD, it reaches the point where it says "Loading initrd.img" and then I get the following error message: Not enough memory to load specified image.

I have tried using two kernels: hugesmp.s and huge.s. Same error message!

Am I out of luck? Is my computer too old for Slackware? (No problems running Ubuntu 11.04 or Windows 7...)
    tb,
    Hello... I have never tried the OS "Slackware" although i run Linux Mint Kayta...It doesn't sound like you don't have enough memory ..as you can run Ubuntu and Windows 7 ...Do you have enough of a partition with a "Swap" ? Also did a brief search and came up with this.... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally figured out what the problem was...

My eleven-year old desktop uses Award Modular BIOS v. 4.51PG. Under Chipset Features Setup, there is an entry called Memory Hole. It was enabled with a value of "15M - 16M". I disabled that and now the setup DVD loads just fine.

I am not much of an expert and don't really understand the advantage of having Memory Hole enabled, but the desktop seems to be working just fine with this setting disabled!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tb75252 View Post
    I finally figured out what the problem was...

My eleven-year old desktop uses Award Modular BIOS v. 4.51PG. Under Chipset Features Setup, there is an entry called Memory Hole. It was enabled with a value of "15M - 16M". I disabled that and now the setup DVD loads just fine.

I am not much of an expert and don't really understand the advantage of having Memory Hole enabled, but the desktop seems to be working just fine with this setting disabled!
    tb,
    Hello...and thanks for posting back your results... As i have never heard of "Memory Hole" setting in BIOS a search has turned this up Memory Hole maybe of some help explaining (somewhat over my pay-grade) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Fred!