New Lounger
    Thanks

lost rename in context menu & it's grayed out in drop down menu

I am using Office 2003 in XP and have suddenly lost 'rename' as an option when I right click on any file and/or folder. When I choose File, the drop down menu has a grayed out 'rename' and grayed out 'create a shortcut'. The F2 key appears to do nothing. A suggestion was made to check for a virus. I have VIPRE (which showed no problems) nevertheless I ran a deep scan and that too revealed no virus. Is it something I have inadvertently done? How do I fix it?

Thanks
    Hi newbies2, and welcome to the Lounge,

Just to be on the safe side, download and install Malwarebytes AntiMalware Free Edition and boot into Safe Mode to run a full scan as an excellent second opinion on your current status.

Next try running in a Command Prompt windows the following without quote marks: "sfc /scannow". Also note the space between the "sfc" and the "/" mark. This will run the system file checker to scan your system files for integrity. Any found to be corrupt will be replaced. You may or may not be prompted for an XP install CD during the process depending on your particular installation setup.

See if this site provides any help on the context menu.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Malwarebytes installed and run. Found and fixed one. Need to borrow a disk from a fried as the store which installed my XP did not supply me with one. Is there some way to tell one of these fix-it programs what to look for (ie missing rename function)?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newbies2 View Post
    Is there some way to tell one of these fix-it programs what to look for (ie missing rename function)?
    Not that I am aware of. Perhaps another Lounger knows of some other utilities that may target specific functions for repair.

Thanks
    Try a repair install of Office 2003.

Is rename grayed out in Windows Explorer as well?

Jerry

Thanks
    How to install or repair and reinstall Office 2003 programs and features

Here is the link from M$;http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821593 I hope the link helps.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten