New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 9 disabled suddenly

Yesterday, IE9 stopped responding to mouse on my laptop. No change to "hand" or anything, and no links either highlight or work. Looks like result of an "update" but I don't know which one, nor how to get rid of it if I did know.

Thanks
    Bob, Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster.

Did you just download any updates? If sso, you could uninstall them one at a time to see if the problem is resolved. Control Panel, Programs and Features, View Installed Updates, choose the update to uninstall and do so.

I would also look to ensure you have not been infected by malware. One app constantly being talked about is MalwareBytes. I would boot to safe mode and run AV and AM scans.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Try a System Restore to a date prior to having the issue.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Still strange. System Restore does not show dates between yesterday and May. The dates from May, going back, say they are on a backup, which does not really exist. I backup continuously, but it does not apply to system restore.

I went to Safe Mode and scanned with Malwarebytes, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool and Microsoft Security Essentials - nothing found.

Tried Windows Repair disk, but that just went back to System Restore - or factory settings.

Rebooted, and now, for the moment, IE9 is responding.

When IE9 was not working, I uninstalled it, and IE8 worked fine. Now, back to IE9, and working.

I can find nothing else on the machine that does not work as it should, even when IE9 was not.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I forgot to mention that this morning, there was notification of a critical update having been installed. I am changing to notify instead of automatic updates.

Was there a critical update overnight?

Thanks
    Curious. Glad to hear IE9 is working for you again. Are your backups System images? If so, you should obviously restore from there if you don't have any System Restore points. You might want to go into Control Panel > System and click on System Protection and verify that System Restore is enabled for your Windows drive. If it is you might also want to try to create a System Restore point to verify that it is working.

I didn't receive a critical update overnight but my Windows update history shows an update to Microsoft Security Essentials today. You can check to see what was installed on your system by clicking on the start orb > All Programs > Windows Update (or type Windows Update in the Start Orb search box) and click on view update history.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Curiouser. All my updates are dated 8/11. System Restore is enabled, and I created a restore point.

My backups are to a clone drive. It is from CMS. Works fine, can boot it instead of the internal drive, but I guess since it is continuous, it would have whatever went wrong in the system files. I sort of depend on it for data, figuring I can always start over with the OS, but I Really. Really. Really don't want to do that.

Thanks
    8/11 was the last date I have for Windows Critical updates. This isn't the first time you rebooted your computer since 8/11 by any chance? If so, a part of the last set of critical updates was installed during the reboot and you will get the installation notice.

If you want to guarantee you won't have to reinstall your OS in case of a corrupt OS, you will need to start saving image backups on a regular basis. You will need an external disk (a large enough disk is $60 or less nowadays) and an imaging program. See the Security and backups forum for suggestions. The freeware Macrium Relect http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

seems to get good reviews from posters on this board or you can buy Acronis True Image Home. The backup procedures can be a little daunting for the non technical user but you can get help on the Security and Backup Forum.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2011-08-21 at 19:41.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

bobhock (2011-08-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, it gets rebooted at least twice every weekday...when I leave for my office, and when I leave the office for home. Thanks.