New Lounger

Question Windows XP/Home getting a application failed to initialize message

I've been running Windows XP/Home edition, it was running fine when I shut it down last night but today when I tried to turn it on the windows startup screen came on then went black with an error message box saying "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005)" also it won't shut off with the button I have to unplug it. Is it possible for me to fix this problem and stay with XP or should I just install Windows 7 and move on from XP/Home? Can anyone help with this problem. I don't want to loose my files if possible. Thanks

If you want to keep Windows XP try:
    1. Boot to safe mode and try system restore to a date prior to having the issue.
    2. Try a Repair install.
    3. If a boot to Safe Mode works, try the Clean Boot Diagnostic procedure.

That said, a move to Windows 7 will bring increased stability and I think you will like it better. If you can boot to safe mode, you can backup your data prior to install of Windows 7. Doing an install over XP should create a directory called Windows.old that contains all your old xp files including My Documents, but you should backup your data first. See this Microsoft site for details. You should try to recover your XP installation first.