Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Not a clue. At various times it appears there are a couple of networks that do this high output power thing. I'm just in a middle class neighborhood, don't really know much about what I'm seeing. My network router has the capability of having my account and a guest accout simultaneously. This way I can have different passwords to allow guests to sign on, which is a cool thing. My home PC's use my primary account, and connect using both bandds. As you can see, I'm alone on the 5GHz band, with a lot of competition on the 2.4 GHz band.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I switched the router (wap) to channel 8 and it seems a bit zippier. But I have a follow-up re. piggybacking... and this is probably complete paranoia... or just ethernet curiosity.

OK. so I'm using the Linksys as a WAP. So I have a cat-5 cable coming into port 1 from the 'real' router in my office. And my laptop is always on... but usually 'sleeping'.

So the Port 1 light is usually constantly on. And the WLAN light is -usually- constantly on... unless I'm actively using the laptop---in which case it blinks.

In the management screen for the Linksys I have the DHCP server turned off and I have MAC Filtering enabled so that only the MAC addresses on my laptop and smartphone have access.

So here's my question:
    1. I read that you determine if people are piggybacking by checking to a list of 'DHCP Clients'. But, if the DHCP is disabled, then how can I determine if anyone else is using the WAP?

2. Why is the WLAN light blinking? Is it likely just because my laptop has lots of programs (like Windows Defender and so on) that are periodically polling the internet for updates and stuff like that? IOW: Completely benign.

Thanks,

---JC

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1. I read that you determine if people are piggybacking by checking to a list of 'DHCP Clients'. But, if the DHCP is disabled, then how can I determine if anyone else is using the WAP?
    You go back to the "real" router which is acting as the DHCP server and check the DHCP client table there. (Even though you are connected to the WAP, the IP information is coming from the DHCP server which in your case is on the other router.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Got it. But there's a challenge... I have Vonage. When I point my browser to 192.168.1.1... I get the Vonage admin. How do I get past that to the Comcast router?

---JC

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    from a command prompt type IPCONFIG . Take a look at your gateway address. Your Vonage adapter and the gateway cannot have the same address. The Gateway will be the address you use to log into your router.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No soap. According to IPCONFIG, the Default Gateway is 192.168.16.1. And when I point the browser there I get the Vonage login. Guess I should contact them?

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    from a command prompt type IPCONFIG . Take a look at your gateway address. Your Vonage adapter and the gateway cannot have the same address. The Gateway will be the address you use to log into your router.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    strange....

is it this

or this
    Is your router acting as the Vonage gateway or do you have another device that makes the Vonage connection?

Thanks
    Temporarily disconnect the Vonage adapter. Log into the comcast router via 192.168.16.1. There should be a page on the router that will allow you to set the ip address of the router. Change it to something else. Log out and reattach the vonage adapter.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Temporarily disconnect the Vonage adapter. Log into the comcast router via 192.168.16.1. There should be a page on the router that will allow you to set the ip address of the router. Change it to something else. Log out and reattach the vonage adapter.

Jerry
    Can you explain how that will help? I called Vonage today and their tech implied (I may be over-simplifying) but that the 'Vonage Adapter' hijacks the Comcast Modem and takes over the DHCP function. And when I went into the 'management screen' for the Vonage Adapter---via web browser---there really is nothing (other than a MAC filter option) that seems helpful or informative about potential outside users.

So if I change the gateway address of the Comcast from .16.1 to... perhaps .26.1, how does that allow me to get to the Comcast? Or how does that allow me to track if someone outside is piggybacking? I mean, wouldn't I have to -know- when someone is trying to 'piggyback' and -then- disconnect the Vonage Adapter and try to see if their are other clients attached?

Confused.

Thanks
    The problem you have is that both the Vonage adapter and the Comcast router are using the same ip address. You need to change one of them to avoid the conflict you are seeing.

Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12