Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Uninstalling disabled add-ons in Firefox 6.0?

I've been googling trying to find a way to uninstall 3 add-ons that have been disabled by FF 6.0. I've tried Safe-Mode still no UnInstall / Remove button. I tried editing my profile...can't find a folder with the name of the add-ons I want to uninstall. Anyone have any other ideas?
    The three items are.
    1. HP Smart Web Printing 4.60
    2. Java Console 6.0.26
    3. MSN Toolbar 4.0 {don't ever remember installing this one must have a drive by install!}.

All suggestions welcome. Otherwise FF 6.0 working just fine and faster!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    If they don't appear in add/remove programs or programs and features:
    There are instructions for manually uninstalling Firefox plugins here. If that doesn't work I found these spcific procedures
    1. HP Smart Web Printing 4.60 - See this page
    2. Java Console 6.0.26 - See option 2 in the bottom of this link. Haven't tried it your YMMV.
    3. MSN Toolbar 4.0 {don't ever remember installing this one must have a drive by install!}. Only found remove via control pane and the manual uninstall procedure above.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2011-08-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jerry,

Thanks...all gone!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

This user has been Banned
    Thanks
    In Firefox, you uninstall or disable plugins using the tools / add-ons menu right in Forefox. You should find a list of them and disable / uninstall buttons for each. At least that's how it works in Ubuntu.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vandamme View Post
    In Firefox, you uninstall or disable plugins using the tools / add-ons menu right in Forefox. You should find a list of them and disable / uninstall buttons for each. At least that's how it works in Ubuntu.
    What he is seeing are addons installed by third-party applications. For example, (on Windows) Java Console is installed (by default) into C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions when the user install Java Runtime Environment (JRE). By design, it cannot be installed from within Firefox's Addon Mgr.

To "uninstall" it, one must first close Firefox. Next, open a Windows Explorer window, navigate to the above listed extensions folder, and delete the folder that looks like {CAFEEFAC . . . . }

For anyone interested in knowing what Java Console does, I found this on Oracle's Java site: http://download.oracle.com/javase/1....e/console.html

Thanks
    I've never bothered to uninstall Java; It is always superseded by later Java plugins & not to worry. The others are a non-issue
    Use 1 XP & 1 Win 7 machines in Christian non-profit where I am a retired volunteer; Windows 7 on home machine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What about the Extensions that are Disabled because they are incompatible with FF6.0? How can you remove them.

There are 4 releases of Java Console that are incompatible, along with a couple of other Extensions.

Thanks
    Java Consoles do NOT remove themselves from Firefox. The only proven way to get rid of them is, BEFORE updating Java, go to the Java Control Panel (you may have to search this out in your Programs (x86) Directory under Java/JRE 6/bin/javacpl.exe (for Java JRE 6) and make a shortcut to your desktop for future use. From the Java Control Panel, click on the Advanced tab and expand the parts of the tree which deal with browser plug-ins. Uncheck Mozilla. And leave it that way unless you are a developer. With each new Java JRE update, you will need to make sure the checkbox is unchecked again. The Firefox Java Console Plug-in will magically disappear, never to be seen again until the next Java JRE update. This Administrator action applies to Firefox for all users. For older JRE versions, go to a site like Filehippo, temporarily install the older version, perform this procedure, and then uninstall (via Windows Add/Remove Programs) the old JRE version, and all those old Java Console Zombie Plug-ins should disappear.

Unless you are a developer, the Firefox Java Console plug-in does nothing of use. In fact, the FEBE Extensions backup plug-in cannot even find it to back it up. Java Quick Starter is also non-functional in Firefox since Version 4.

Toolbars are third-party programs, and should be uninstalled using the tools provided by their makers. Going this route cleans up the Registry entries which can make those old toolbars come back from the dead like Zombies, over and over. The same advice applies to third-party Firefox plug-ins (as opposed to Extensions, which can be removed safely just by using their Remove buttons, if they have any).

HP Smart Web Printing I would leave in place, but if you really dislike it, the HP OEM software package should have a removal tool, or else Windows Add/Remove Programs should have an entry for it. Finding the Extension inside of Firefox might pose problems, especially if it has a Hexadecimal Name instead of a plain-English title. I have an Epson All-In-One, and I like its Web To Page browser plug-in. It works better than using the browser to print web pages. But to each their own, I guess.

The link provided earlier in this thread also seems to be a complete solution to the HP Web Printing Extension issue. I am not sure that all of those Firefox files are the same now as they were when the reference was posted, but if they are found, it couldn't hurt to purge them.

For actual Firefox Extensions, usually if they are disabled, they have a Remove button available. Just click this, restart Firefox, and these outdated Extensions should be gone. Before doing this, however, you might want to use the little Gear Button in the Firefox Add-ons Extensions Tab to Look For Updates. Sometimes this is all that's needed to find and install a working newer version of your favorite Extensions. Extension Developer Home Pages sometimes also have newer versions, although many of these are betas.

Built-in Firefox Plug-ins should not be removed, even if they are not working. The risk of messing up Firefox is simply too great, in my experience. And there are security programs which install plug-ins into Firefox. These should be left alone.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-08-25 at 17:31.
    -- Bob Primak --

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

curiousclive (2011-12-14),georgelee (2011-08-31)

Thanks
    As I pointed out above, there are instructions for manually uninstalling Firefox plugins here. This is from the Mozilla web site so it should be safe. I think this is what Retired Geek used to remove the old Java Consoles. I agree with Bob that you should only use this procedure if you don't have any other options. But if you don't have any other options, this procedure appears to be safe.

Jerry

Thanks
    Hi RG,
    I know this is a bit late, but, disabled items can safely be left alone as FF will check for updates for them if set to do so.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow Java Console is removable

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    I've been googling trying to find a way to uninstall 3 add-ons that have been disabled by FF 6.0. I've tried Safe-Mode still no UnInstall / Remove button. I tried editing my profile...can't find a folder with the name of the add-ons I want to uninstall. Anyone have any other ideas?
    The three items are.
    1. HP Smart Web Printing 4.60
    2. Java Console 6.0.26
    3. MSN Toolbar 4.0 {don't ever remember installing this one must have a drive by install!}.
    I've got the same issue with the Java Console. Just for grins, I checked my FEBE extensions backup folder--there's not an XPI file for the Java Console like there is for other disabled extensions.

My guess is that the Java Console is part of the larger Java installation (and may not even be a true extension, in some technical sense). I tried the second tip in the link given above, and that did the trick.

As for the HP Smart Web Printing: Have you tried uninstalling your HP software via add/remove programs?

I've no suggestions for the MSN Toolbar--I've never encountered it. Maybe it was installed when you clicked through the installer for a free app?

My guess is that, while annoying to see, these disabled items don't affect your FF installation, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over them.
    Last edited by bethel95; 2011-08-29 at 11:29.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    I've got the same issue with the Java Console. Just for grins, I checked my FEBE extensions backup folder--there's not an XPI file for the Java Console like there is for other disabled extensions.

My guess is that the Java Console is part of the larger Java installation (and may not even be a true extension, in some technical sense). I tried the second tip in the link given above, and that did the trick.

As for the HP Smart Web Printing: Have you tried uninstalling your HP software via add/remove programs?

I've no suggestions for the MSN Toolbar--I've never encountered it. Maybe it was installed when you clicked through the installer for a free app?

My guess is that, while annoying to see, these disabled items don't affect your FF installation, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over them.
    Good guess on the Java add-ons. They are not generated by Firefox, but by the Java Runtime itself. And as I pointed out, they can be unchecked in the Java Control Panel and gotten rid of forever.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I wouldnt be too worried about these. For one thing Mozilla have been sweeping through versions lately and that process has not completed. We should be on Firefox 7 in the very enar future and who knows if that is the end of this quick-fire round of new versions.

Third party developers must be tearing their hair out as each successive version wipes out their add-ons and they have to modify them.

I would wait and take stock once the current round of updates has finished. Any decent add-on will be quickly brought up to date and maybe some will be redundant as Mozilla covers their functions.

My only bug-bear has been the number of tabs that have opened recently infiorming me that an add-on now has a new version to cope with Firefox releases. Having said that its also reassuring that the add-ons themselves are continually being developed.

Thanks

Firefox Rapid Release Plan

Quote Originally Posted by jiffy128 View Post
    I wouldnt be too worried about these. For one thing Mozilla have been sweeping through versions lately and that process has not completed. We should be on Firefox 7 in the very enar future and who knows if that is the end of this quick-fire round of new versions.

Third party developers must be tearing their hair out as each successive version wipes out their add-ons and they have to modify them.

I would wait and take stock once the current round of updates has finished. Any decent add-on will be quickly brought up to date and maybe some will be redundant as Mozilla covers their functions.

My only bug-bear has been the number of tabs that have opened recently infiorming me that an add-on now has a new version to cope with Firefox releases. Having said that its also reassuring that the add-ons themselves are continually being developed.
    Mozilla has moved Firefox (and Thunderbird, too) onto a rapid release plan. Instead of "sub" version releases (x.1, x.2, etc.) every 6 weeks, starting with Fx 4,
    major versions are planned on being released every 6 week. This mimics what Google has been doing with Chrome for some time now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffy128 View Post
    Individual add-ons that show a "first run" page typically have a setting for whether or not to do that, but I am not aware of a global setting for this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast