New Lounger
    Thanks

2010 new folders don't get default auto archive setting

I'm stumped. I thought that in previous versions of Outlook, if you set up a default auto archive profile, it was applied to all new folders until you would override the settings if you wanted something different. In 2010, all new folders are set up as "do not archive".

I could tell it to apply the default settings to all folders every time I create a new folder, but I have MANY folders that have custom settings rather than the default. I can't imagine trying to reset all of them every time I create a new folder.

Anyone have a solution?

...Rich

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You don't need to apply anything to all folders; just set the properties of any new folder you create to use the default or custom autoarchive setting (by a right click on that folder).

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2011-08-21 at 21:56.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I know I can do that. What I don't understand is why the default settings aren't turned on automatically when the folder is created. I often create folders "on the fly" when moving a message out of the inbox. There is no way that I can find to go to folder properties when doing that, so I would then have to go to the folder view to set the properties. Kind of breaks the flow when reading/managing a large number of messages.I am just looking for a way to apply the default archive settings by default when creating a new folder.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Find a Fix?

Did you ever find a fix for this issue? I am having the same problem and it's very frustrating having to go back and set the auto archive properties on all of the new folders I create. Thanks for your help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, no.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Always Been That Way

Quote Originally Posted by rdeyoungaia View Post
    I'm stumped. I thought that in previous versions of Outlook, if you set up a default auto archive profile, it was applied to all new folders until you would override the settings if you wanted something different. In 2010, all new folders are set up as "do not archive".

I could tell it to apply the default settings to all folders every time I create a new folder, but I have MANY folders that have custom settings rather than the default. I can't imagine trying to reset all of them every time I create a new folder.

Anyone have a solution?

...Rich
    I am sorry to reopen this after 3 years however since I was searching on this and found your post I had to correct something. This is not new for Outlook 2010, it's been like that for at least 20, maybe 20 years. It's very irritating, when I think of the hours wasted over the years having to right click and do this manually as someone else pointed out is the only way to do this.