New Lounger
    Thanks

.exe files don't execute

Strange results just out of the blue. Windows Vista (but don't know it is unique to Vista) - primary account will not execute an .exe program. Clicking on any .exe program prompts me for an association to be used to "open" the file. Two other accounts on this computer act normally on .exe programs. Safe Mode made no difference. Finally tried to associate the program with itself and it sorta worked. Example: clicking on Firefox, prompted for a program to process Firefox with, associated it with itself and it worked. Every time I click on Firefox now, I must choose which program to use to "open" Firefox. Choosing Firefox from the association list will open the browser and I can proceed normally. Happens to all .exe programs from the desktop and all program list.

Before discovering this, I was able to open Firefox by clicking on a URL contained in an E-mail message with no strange message but not able to use it by just clocking on the icon.

Have had system for 3+ years with nothing like this before. Anti-virus (AVG free) found nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi goldkeys,

Welcome to the Lounge. See if the fixes here are of help: http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

goldkeys (2011-08-22)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goldkeys View Post
    Strange results just out of the blue. Windows Vista (but don't know it is unique to Vista) - primary account will not execute an .exe program.

Any help would be appreciated.
    goldkeys,
    Hello...Check your "Default Programs" various settings ...I'm on "7" now but think that it's the same on Vista ... I'll "boot er up" and check my Vista OS. If it's different I'll post back. Regards Fred

PS: In Vista It's Control Panel>Programs>Default Programs...Just to be on the "safe side" download and run a scan with "Malwarebytes Free" Malwarebytes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-08-22 at 19:04.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

goldkeys (2011-08-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem Resolved

Thank you ruirib and Just Plain Fred. The exefix for vista did the trick. I followed all of your suggestions and the malware found four infections that are now cleared up.

I was thinking of investing in a new laptop with Windows 7 on it but may now delay that a bit. Just don't like these things cropping up with no apparent explanation. Nature of the beast I guess.

Kinds regards.

Roger

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Roger,

Glad it's sorted. Not sure of the cause, but it may have been the malware. Malwarebytes is a good free tool to keep on hand for a regular scan.