Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Advice on reverting to XP?

Hello all,

I have thinking about this for a while, and would like to add "XP" to my Vista, "7" and Linux, multi-boot lineup.(just for fun) I have heard much about it and feel left out, as i only started with Vista (on home PC's). Admittedly, I'm using my Vista and Linux more and more, and "7" less and less... Vista just seems simpler...OK... and slower, but hey I'm somewhat slow nowadays myself....OK to the Question I have been searching the "web", and the offerings are all over.... But the prices are just as numerous..32\or 64? with SP-3 or not. Plain Home..or Pro? ...Any advice would be helpful as to what would be the best way to proceed . (other that I'm nuts... I, and many others already know that) Thanks in advance for your input... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Fred,

I'd stick with 32 Bit SP-3 Pro. The 64 bit version will, I'm sure, give you all kinds of headaches with drivers and the Home version is brain dead. YMMV. Good Luck
    Regards.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Just Plain Fred (2011-08-24)

Thanks
    I did use XP both at home and at work for quite some time, and quite honestly I do not wish to go back, thankyou. I also wish you good luck Fred. There are ways of installing XP after other OSs are installed. I'm sure you will have to fix your MBR, but this should not be a challenge to you at all.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I'd recommend 32-bit XP Pro SP-3. The 64-bit version of XP was based off of a server version (2003 I think) and not really XP. Some people had an OK experience with 64-bit bit but most had many headaches.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Guys,
    Your input is much appreciated, and has help me make a decision. I'll post back with my results ...Hopefully in a few weeks... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Howdy Fred,
    I tried reverting a Compaq laptop from the facory-installed Vista to XP Pro, but had to abandon the effort as no XP drivers were available that I could find for the built-in Atheros wireless card. Have since done a clean install of Win7 which DOES have drivers for Atheros and am happy as a clam.

Since the Win7 I purchased was a 3-user Home Premium upgrade, I made both of my desktop boxes dual-booters with XP Pro and Win7 and have had no problems. I will probably eventually dump the XP on one of them as I get more comfortable with 7.

I will keep XP on the one I use for recording all my old vinyl records from my turntable and digitizing them as I like the old XP volume level controls better than the ones in 7 and I'm not sure if I could find Win7 drivers for the old Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card I use for that purpose.

One of my desktops is running wireless with a D-Link USB wireless dongle that works flawlessly with both XP and 7.
    Last edited by lostwages; 2011-08-26 at 16:44.
    Happy Computing,

Rich

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lostwages View Post

Since the Win7 I purchased was a 3-user Home Premium upgrade, I made both of my desktop boxes dual-booters with XP Pro and Win7 and have had no problems. I will probably eventually dump the XP on one of them as I get more comfortable with 7.
    "lost"

Hello... Thanks for your input .. Strange... that I'm looking to "dump "7" and revert to simpler OS's and your looking to dump XP and move on to "7" Guess that's what makes the "world go round".I should be getting XP Pro this week and will post back with my results of my new (Old ) OS. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    I know it will never happen, but I wish the whole world could just use a different HD for different OS's.
    It just makes changing an OS, or just trying out something different, so much simpler.
    I never have to "Dump" one OS to try out another OS. I just install it on one of my spare drives.

Don't want a certain OS on a drive? Reformat that drive and put something else on it.
    I did that just this week, with one of my drives. My main OS was never in jeopardy during the process,
    as it was completely UN-Plugged from the system, while I worked on the second drive.

And, if you want to do something really hazardous with your main OS, make a CLONE of it to another
    drive and do your experimenting on the clone, not on your main drive. Better safe than sorry.

I'll be doing that myself, trying to get my main drive, a new Seagate 6GBM SATA III drive, to work on a PCIe/SATA III controller card.
    When I move my main HD off of the mother board and onto the controller card, the bootup stops with
    the old "NTLDR missing or corrupt" error message. I have some things I want to try, but I don't want
    to go mucking about, changing things with my main OS. So I'll use a Clone for my experimenting and troubleshooting.

I hope this helps someone....somewhere....someday.

The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-08-31 at 12:41.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    I know it will never happen, but I wish the whole world could just use a different HD for different OS's.
    It just makes changing an OS, or just trying out something different, so much simpler.
    I never have to "Dump" one OS to try out another OS. I just install it on one of my spare drives.
    Hi Doc,
    Well... I'm now on "XP-Pro" so far with mixed results....I think your advice is sound ...Most will never be able to implement it though .. I have no problem with using both HD's and Partitions ...Since the advent of EasyBCD it's no "problemo".. Looks like I'm in fight, trying to get "XP" up the way that i want.. Thank goodness for "Imaging"... Best Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

And when the experience is painful, it's a lot better to learn from somebody else's.

Thanks
    Those that have laptops will not have as easy a time using the system DrWho has outlined as those using a desktop. It can be done, either with other HD's that can be manually installed in the laptop, or with USB enclosures to install other HD's in, but it is not nearly as easy. This then is one of the disadvantages of laptops, although I believe in many environments the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. It just depends on how you are using your PC.

Fred, since you started on Vista, then added Win 7, you will definitely find some differences with XP. Like I have said, for my uses of my PC, Win 7 is my choice, by far. Have fun discovering and exploring. That's how I learn.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

This user has been Banned
    Thanks
    XP?? You really are a glutton for punishment. Why don't you try some different distros of Linux? Not saying all 300 or so, but Puppy, Bodhi, and Mint XFCE just as a variety. Make a Home partition that you can read from all of them.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vandamme View Post
    XP?? You really are a glutton for punishment. Why don't you try some different distros of Linux?
    vandamme,
    Hello... Like Ted has stated i want to learn the different OS's..and experience is the best teacher...As far as Linux ....I already have ( and use) LINUX Mint Kayta... I'm running a "Multi Boot", Multi Hard Drive PC, with now ....XP-Pro..Vista... "7"... and LINUX Mint Katya, with a mixture of 32 and 64 bit OS's Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks

"I'd stick with 32 Bit SP-3 Pro"

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Fred,

I'd stick with 32 Bit SP-3 Pro. The 64 bit version will, I'm sure, give you all kinds of headaches with drivers and the Home version is brain dead. YMMV. Good Luck
    Regards.
    Retired Geek said it all. I helped the old folk - I'm 68 - in my family install XP Pro years back and they loved it, still do; I will help them install 7 when the support for XP is closing. I figure XP Pro is better for folk in 80s and 90s than Home version.

Some folk feel more at ease with Windows. You and I may like some Linux flavor, but a lot of folk balk out of fear of the unknown or imagined unknown. I have 1400 cs, Windows 98 SE, XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu, Windows 2000, OS X, and OS X on powerbook. I like play with computers after my serious work. Most folk want to send email, surf, post photos on some social site, and some play games. I'd guess that half or more folk here have two or three OSs like Apple, Windows, and Linux.
    Last edited by saint satin stain; 2011-09-02 at 10:36. Reason: Add mo' info'
    saint satin stain
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing. Emo Philips