New Lounger
    Thanks

Mouse cursors resetting on bootup?

Hi all,

I'm having a weird issue with the mouse cursors on my Windows 7 system. I use the "Windows Standard (extra large)" scheme, with two custom cursors for "Precision Select" (cross) and "Text Select" (caret). (I do this because I also use mouse trails at its lowest setting to make the pointer easier to see, but the inverting nature of the text and precision cursors means that the original pointer and the trail cancel each other out and I can't see the default cursor at all - hence me changing the cursors.)

I have this new selection saved under a new scheme which I've imaginatively called "My Scheme". The trouble, every time I reboot, the text cursor (I haven't been able to test the precision one yet) goes back to the standard one - and that's the *small* standard one, not the extra large one.

Google tells me that there are other people with the same problem, but the answers given there ranged from making sure "Allow themes to change mouse pointers" is unchecked (I have - it doesn't help) to moving the cursor into C:\Windows\Cursors, which I really don't feel I should need to do - if that's what's needed, then it's a bug in Windows. (Although judging from the responses I've seen, that particular solution does work. I haven't tried it yet, though, because I'd kinda hoped not to have to do that.)

Does anybody know of an alternative solution?

Thanks
    Have you tried to update the mouse software? Go to the mouse manufacturer site and download the latest drivers. Quite often these type problems can be traced to corupt drivers. may work for you.

You do not say if this is a desktop or laptop. I had to update my touch pad drivers for my laptop and downloaded new S/W for my Logitech mouse for my laptop. If you have a similar configuration this might help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Have you tried to update the mouse software? Go to the mouse manufacturer site and download the latest drivers. Quite often these type problems can be traced to corupt drivers. may work for you.

You do not say if this is a desktop or laptop. I had to update my touch pad drivers for my laptop and downloaded new S/W for my Logitech mouse for my laptop. If you have a similar configuration this might help.
    I have a laptop, and I use a Logitech G5 laser mouse. I just tried downloading the newest SetPoint drivers and rebooting, but it made no difference.

I should add, by the way, that the mouse pointers in the actual scheme aren't reset; it just chooses to display the standard text pointer instead. If I go to the Mouse control panel applet, I can see my modified cursor still there, and if I twiddle the scheme box from my scheme to another one then back, and click Apply, my modified pointer starts being used again as it should be. Funnily enough, it doesn't do this for any of the other cursors; just the text one, or so I've seen so far. (It's possible it might happen for the precision select one too, but I haven't been able to test that yet.)

Thanks
    I have a Sony laptop, and Sony provided an update for my Alps Touchpad as well. I suppose it's possible the touchpad S/W is affecting the Setpoint stuff. I believe the actual pointers come from the touchpad S/W, not the Setpoint S/W.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    I've seen what appears to be a custom theme being reverted to a standard Windows theme. But I've not spent any time trying to debug it as I've always been busy with something else when I noticed the issue. I've just selected and applied the custom theme and all seemed OK. Sorry, I can't be of more help. Maybe this will be the impetus for me to actually check this out.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I've seen what appears to be a custom theme being reverted to a standard Windows theme. But I've not spent any time trying to debug it as I've always been busy with something else when I noticed the issue. I've just selected and applied the custom theme and all seemed OK. Sorry, I can't be of more help. Maybe this will be the impetus for me to actually check this out.
    Well, the weird thing is that the other mouse cursors aren't affected; my normal mouse cursor, as well as the other cursors, are still used just fine. It's just the text caret that isn't...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I have a Sony laptop, and Sony provided an update for my Alps Touchpad as well. I suppose it's possible the touchpad S/W is affecting the Setpoint stuff. I believe the actual pointers come from the touchpad S/W, not the Setpoint S/W.
    Interesting; I'll take a look into that!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found out what was wrong! I had been putting the custom cursors on my desktop, and apparently it doesn't like that. (I'm guessing it also wouldn't like it if they were in "My Documents".) Making a "Cursors" directory in C:\ and moving the cursors there (as well as updating the paths in the Control Panel applet, of course) fixed the issue.