Thanks

Facebook changes to improve privacy

PCWorld has an article on changes Facebook is making to improve privacy on the Social Networking site.

CNet also discussed these changes.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-08-24 at 05:05.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Ted,

I got a notice about this when I logged on Facebook today. However, they have removed the Links option and I can't find a way to link to a Google Picasa album. Anyone else having this problem?
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hello all,

I found a way around the missing LINKS link. Just type your about this link info in the "What's on your Mind?" box then paste in the link. Works just like the LINKS link even selecting the first photo as a thumbnail!

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I noticed the same thing so I just c/p'd the url in and it accomplished the same thing.

some of these changes are leaving me confused... I already have too much grey hair..now I'll just have less after I stop pulling it out.....
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    John,
    As you can see by looking at my picture, I am much further ahead in the grey hair pulling than you probably are (I hate to say it RG, but you may be further ahead than I am. Perhaps this is because you are retired and spending much more time with your better half??? LOL). Facebook as a whole confuses me. I just use the basic features and try to control everything that can be gathered from my page. I believe Facebook is trying to do some of the things people are clamoring for to close security and privacy gaps because of the added competition from Google +.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Ted,

Unfortunately, you are CORRECT...one big skid mark down the middle.
    I've slowly started using FB more and more to keep in contact with friends and family as we travel for months at a time in the motorhome. I used to go to the trouble of updating my personal website but it is so much easier to do it on FB that I finally gave up. We've also switched our email to GMAIL vs that of our ISP so we can change ISPs at the drop of a good offer! Of course, I have FB locked down to Friends Only for everything and don't use any APPs {which seem to be real privacy invaders}.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

8. New Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't even checked the newest updates on FB yet. Seems the more they change, the more they mess something else up. I did notice recently there is a new "Feed" on the right side of FB that lists what my "Friends" are doing at that very minute. Now really, if I didn't care if they were playing a game before, should I care now?

I've locked down everything to "Friends Only" and where I could, "For Me Only". I'm hoping that last option is still there.
    The more things change, the more grey hair I get

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Facebook as a whole confuses me.
    Whoa! If Ted is confused, there is no hope for the rest of us with grey/white/no hair. FB is best left to the youngsters who post things that will screwup their futures if they are not careful. My perennial soapbox with my DGSs.

Barbara
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-09-08 at 17:19. Reason: Fixed quote tag.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight For This Useful Post:

bluebird2 (2012-04-26)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    I have FB locked down to Friends Only for everything and don't use any APPs {which seem to be real privacy invaders}.
    You nailed it RG... Locking it down to friends only, and then loosening it up little by little as the need arises is what I have found to be the key to keeping FB safe.
    Not using any of the APPS, is the one that people most often miss. (IMHO)... But if one is serious about using FB safely, that should be the first thing denied.
    Again JMHO!

Have you considered Skydrive for sharing photos and keeping them off of FB? or you can do like I do on occassion and share a link to either a folder, or to an individual photo or document. Just sayin! and as far as I know, the Skydrive links do not expire.
    Last edited by t8ntlikly; 2011-09-08 at 10:43.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

12. Super Moderator RetiredGeek's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Have you considered Skydrive for sharing photos and keeping them off of FB?
    T8ntlikly,

I don't post the photos on FB just a link to my Google Pictures page. I love the way Picasa will automatically sync from PC to Web and only the pictures I tell it to!

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

13. New Lounger
    Thanks
    You're right about the apps being privacy invaders. I play a couple of the Zynga games along with a couple of others. Noticed that one Zynga game is changing the rules about being a FaceBook Friend before they can be your neighbor. Soon, you don't have to have a Facebook account to be a neighbor. (This game has over 30 millions players/likes.) In order to opt out, you have to uncheck the box at the bottom of your "Add Neighbors" screen. What FaceBook tries to tighten down, others try to undo.
    The more things change, the more grey hair I get

14. New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have really heard about the changes to improve the privacy. Well, it's truly one of also most satisfying feature of Facebook. As we all know that this one is one of stunning giant of this world. The same social networking sites really proves this by this step.

15. Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    Whoa! If Ted is confused, there is no hope for the rest of us with grey/white/no hair. FB is best left to the youngsters who post things that will screwup their futures if they are not careful. My perennial soapbox with my DGSs.

Barbara
    I agree with Barbara 100%. I recently closed my Facebook and Twitter accounts and couldn't be happier. Let the kids make fools out of themselves.