Thread: Win7 Locking up

New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 Locking up

I have Win7 64 bit ultimate on my wifes computer. After returning from some time away the computer would boot up but then within a few minutes it would drop to a crawl. It became unusable. The only way to recover was to turn the power off on the system.

After researching it was suggested to try to run SFC to check the system files. I tried to run that program at an administrators command prompt and hten I recieved a "Windows Resource Protection could not start". Researching that led me to nothing that would get it to run.

I also tried to do a system restore with no success also as it times out. This fits with the system slowing way down to unusable.

I have opened up taskmanager and nothing is indicated as being a resource hog. I don't believe it is updating the system usage when the computer slows.

The other oddity is that I can enter BIOS with the keyboard and use the keyboard in Win7. But when presented with start in Safe Mode screen the keyboard can not be used to choose safe mode or regular boot. It doesn't respond.

I have also checked all the cables and connections on the PC. All ok. Looked inside the box and checked that everything was seated correctly. I even swapped the memory sticks (there are 2) with no change. I also put on a different keyboard and mouse without fixing my oddity. Both keyboards are non-USB but haven't given any problems for the last year on this system.

I am at a loss of where to go next. Is there any help out there?

Thanks
    When you opened taskmanager, and clicked on the processes tab, did you click the show processes from all users button? I assume you clicked the cpu column to sort on processor busy. You might also want to sort the memory column to see which processes are using the most memory.

If you can get into safe mode with networking, download and run Malwarebytes.

In safe mode, also run msconfig and click on the startup tab and see if anything suspicious is loaded there You could also use autoruns or whats in startup for the same purpose. One advantage of autoruns is that you can right click on a suspicious item and click on search online to search the internet for more information on it. Bleepingcomputer.com/startups has an extensive list of startup programs with recommendations as to allow or disallow.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    When you opened taskmanager, and clicked on the processes tab, did you click the show processes from all users button? I assume you clicked the cpu column to sort on processor busy. You might also want to sort the memory column to see which processes are using the most memory.

If you can get into safe mode with networking, download and run Malwarebytes.

In safe mode, also run msconfig and click on the startup tab and see if anything suspicious is loaded there You could also use autoruns or whats in startup for the same purpose. One advantage of autoruns is that you can right click on a suspicious item and click on search online to search the internet for more information on it. Bleepingcomputer.com/startups has an extensive list of startup programs with recommendations as to allow or disallow.

Jerry
    I'll try that when I can get into safe mode. I am not sure why the keyboard won't respond when booting at the safe mode screen. It only goes onto normal boot because it times out. Do you need a USB keyboard to be able to function at that prompt??